The donor George Lister Coop was about 21 years of age when he took this photo in 1958. This photo is of Annesley Home for the Aged at 692-694 Whitehorse Road. It was originally a Methodist, later a Uniting Church facility. The new sections in the photo was part of an extension built in 1958. A further extension encompassing 21 beds occurred in 1971.
A Queen Anne / Edwardian brick attic home was built on No 694 in 1908 for William Pilkington, a manufacturer and was called 'St Martins'. Ownership stayed in this family until c1950. It was retained as part of the facility.
Alan Holt's register of 3127 properties list 34 residents in 1980, of which all but 3 were female.
The property was replaced by apartments in c2018 but had ceased function as a nursing home quite a number of years prior to this and in the interim appeared to be used for temporary accommodation.
A street view of new brick veneer 2 storey extensions to Annesley Home for the Aged. It does not show the original home 'St Martin's' that the facility was built around. In the foreground the pile of soil relates to the excavation works undertaken in widening Whitehorse Road.