Historical information

In 1977, artist Annette Meikle undertook a commission to illustrate a book recording stories of places and people in the Bayside area. It was published in 1978 as Sandringham Sketchbook, with text by Elizabeth Waters. The sketches were intended to record remaining examples of Bayside’s early architecture and environment, as well as reflect newer architectural changes. Meikle went on to donate 22 of these sketches to Bayside City Council in 2003.
In the mid 1870s wealthy solicitor David Abbot bought a large block on the corner of Bamfield Street and Beach Road and built an imposing family home with a stately tower. It featured rare Hawthorn Blacks – hand-made bricks of brown-red with streaks of charcoal black. For many years the home was the most prominent in the district.
In 1922 ‘Coggeshall’ was subdivided, and the house was sold to the Sandringham Club, a gentleman’s club that had formed in 1913 and required more space for its growing membership. Members enjoyed lawn tennis courts, a bowling green and a cricket green, as well as a large billiard room. The Sandringham Club still owns ‘Coggeshall’.