The 10th Light Horse was raised in 1903 from Victorian Mounted Rifles companies in Gippsland. In 1912 the regiment was renumbered 13th Light Horse. In 1920 the regiment had the territorial title Gippsland Light Horse added. The regiment was raised as 13th Light Horse (Gippsland), a Citizen Forces unit. In 1940 the regiment converted from horse to mechanised, initially as 13th Motor Regiment then 13th Armoured Regiment. It trained in Victoria and Queensland but as the Japanese threat to the mainland declined, was disbanded in October 1943 with men going to other units.
Large white oval serving platter with 13th Light Horse monogram on edge. Part of an incomplete set of white vitreous china plates with a red monogram incorporating the regimental badge in the rim denoting the object was made specially for 13th Light Horse Officers' Mess. The red on white is the colour patch of the regiment.
Inscriptions & markings
"13th (Gippsland) LH Regt" above regimental badge, and "Officers' Mess" below badge.
Marked on base of plate " 'Duraline' Supervitrifies Grindley Hotelware Co England" and "Loftus Moran Pty Ltd Melbourne"