The following research was undertaken for the Coat of Arms in the foyer of Ballarat Civic Hall, painted by Angus Henderson.
The Ballarat arms were granted on 10 May 1956. The shield is supported by a farmer and a miner and topped by a trident (referring to Britannia and aquatic sports) with sprigs of wattle and begonias either side.
The crossed oars against the Eureka flag refer to rowing events in the 1956 Olympic Games. The importance of farming and industry are shown by the sheep and cogwheel while the lyre reflects the City’s commitment to the arts and Royal South Street Society, which contributed to the design of the Civic Hall.
The name Ballaarat came from two Aboriginal words: balla and arat, meaning ‘resting place’. At the time of Council amalgamations, May 1994, Ballarat became the name of the new Council.
The Latin motto:
Cultus: cultivation, care, worship
Formar: form, shape, appearance
Industria: diligence, activity, industry
Small Ballarat coat of arms