The school was built to educate the increasing number of children of the Kiewa Hydro Electric Scheme population. The school opened in 1948 in the Recreation hall and in the new building (photo) in 1950. A new wing was built in 1951 and became the Mt Beauty Higher Elementary School in 1953. By 1958 it had 617 pupils.
Mr George Redfern was the Head Teacher for one year in 1951.
Large black and white photo framed in thick wood and backed with cream cardboard. At the bottom on the wooden frame is a metal inscription.
Inscriptions & markings
Inscription: Mt Beauty Central School / Presented to / Mr G. Redfern / as a token of esteem from / Mothers Club Committee / School Committee / 19.6.52