Historical information

The construction of Seaview commenced in 1860, after David Talbot, purchased the land from James Atkinson,It had been suggested that it was intended to be double storied but there is no evidence of how that would have been accomplished. Following Talbot’s insolvency, Michael O’Reilly leased the house in 1862 until 1876 when he left for Melbourne.William Powling (Solicitor) acquired the house for Eight hundred and twenty three pounds in 1890 and lived there the rest of his life. His son Ernest Powling continued living there before selling it to Matthew Cathcart in 1917.