Copies of correspondence with Mr K Crouch asking for the history of Blamey House. Plus a photocopy of the history pages from the Blamey House roll that is kept in glass display cabinets at Legacy House.
Blamey House was one of the residences used by Legacy as a home for Junior Legatees. The first few pages of the book (item 02298) explains the history and significance of the name Blamey House - which was photocopied and sent to Mr Crouch.
Blamey House was originally the name of a hostel set up in World War 2 for servicemen that needed short term accommodation and food. It was originally situated in Melbourne CBD on the corner of King and Collins Streets in the Robbs Building (since demolished). When the hostel was no longer required after the war, the trustees of Blamey House donated money - almost 20,000 pounds, to Legacy for a children and toddlers' home which was established in Balcombe Road Beaumaris. The condition of donation was that the name Blamey House be used and when the Balcombe Road property was sold in 1956 the name was transferred to Holmbush, another Legacy residence. When it was sold in 1977 the name transferred to Harelands until Legacy sold it in 1980.
A record of the history known about the donation made to Legacy to establish Blamey House in 1947.
Black and white A4 photocopy x 12 pages on history of Blamey House, part of it copied from the Blamey House roll and some of correspondence between K Crouch and Legacy.