This set of photos is from a leather bound album bearing the inscription "HUME RESERVOIR AUSTRALIA" plus 'The Rt. Hon. L. C. M. S. Amery, P. C., M .P.' all inscribed in gold. It was presented to The Rt. Hon. L. C. M. S. Amery, P. C., M. P, Secretary of State for Dominion Affairs on the occasion of his visit to the Hume Reservoir on 2nd November 1927.
This album is of local and national significance as it documents the planning and development of the Hume Reservoir up to 1927. It was the largest water reservoir in the British Empire. The album records the pioneering engineering work that went into its construction.
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS, N.S.W. RIVER MURRAY WATERS SCHEME. HUME RESERVOIR.
25. Work proceeding inside the Coffer Dam. This shows the curving downstream face of the Spillway section taking shape, the bottom edge being the line of the contraction joint between the wall and the energy dissipater which has still to be built. Note the steam navvy at the end of the bit of curved work ready to take out the foundations for the energy dissipater. The tall concrete pillar is a portion of the work at the intersection of the main and south wing walls which was built in advance of the rest of the work to accommodate the tail tower of the cableway. The Tail Tower for the first stages of the work stood on the ground. Part of it is seen erected on the pillar while part of it is still in its original position. To command the concreting of the pillar end of the south wing wall a twin hoist tower of steel construction was erected at the end of the belt conveyor. This hoist is 160 feet high. The belt conveyor will at a later stage be raised for the concreting of the upper portion of the dam and the trestles are now being built up for that purpose. A drag line excavator with a 2 cubic yard capacity bucket is at work near the tail tower on the foundations for the south wing wall. New South Wales, August 1927.