Historical information

This set of photos is from a leather bound album bearing the inscription "HUME RESERVOIR AUSTRALIA" plus 'The Rt. Hon. L. C. M. S. Amery, P. C., M .P.' all inscribed in gold. It was presented to The Rt. Hon. L. C. M. S. Amery, P. C., M. P, Secretary of State for Dominion Affairs on the occasion of his visit to the Hume Reservoir on 2nd November 1927.


This album is of local and national significance as it documents the planning and development of the Hume Reservoir up to 1927. It was the largest water reservoir in the British Empire. The album records the pioneering engineering work that went into its construction.

Physical description

28. Concrete Pillar for Tail Tower. This shows the back and upstream side of the tower. The groove at the back is left for the reception of the concrete core wall of the earth embankment. The groove is being used at present as a hoist well, up and down which men and materials are conveyed in connection with the re-erection of the Tail Tower of the cableway. The pillar is 108 feet from the ground and is within 4 feet of its ultimate height. The foundation of this part at its deepest is 90 feet below the natural surface so that when the 80 feet tower and jury mast are in place the total height from foundation to top of mast will be about 300 feet. New South Wales, August 1927.