Historical information

Mac's Shortbread Co dates its history back to a family bakery in Abbotsford opened in the 1860's producing bread for the goldfields. This eventually became McAlpine's Flour. This business was sold in 1960 and the family then purchased a cake shop, leading to building a biscuit factory. (This is thought to have been the Surrey Hills site). The company outgrew this and moved to 5 Tate Drive, Kerang. (Further research required.)
Australia adopted metric units of measurement in July 1974, so this object predates 1974.

Significance

This tin is material evidence of the small area of industrial activities that once existed in Surrey Hills.

Physical description

A cylindrical tin with a silvered interior and the outside finished in a white enamel paint, on which are 3 thistles and a tartan ribbon.

Inscriptions & markings

1. Mac's / BUTTER SHORTBREAD / 12 OZ NET
2. MAC'S SHORTBREAD CO., 1 NORFOLK ROAD, SURREY HILLS, VICTORIA 3127. TELEPHONE 836 0333