Established at Victoria Barracks, in Melbourne, in June 1940, the 2/23rd Battalion was raised as part of the all-volunteer Second Australian Imperial Force and assigned to the 26th Brigade. Under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Bernard Evans, a small cadre of experienced personnel drawn from Victorian Militia units were concentrated at Victoria Barracks prior to the battalion headquarters being relocated to Albury, New South Wales, where a large number of volunteers were completing their recruit training at the 4th Recruit Training Battalion. Upon the conclusion of this course, the recruits were posted to the 2/23rd and the battalion – over 900 strong– moved to Bonegilla, Victoria, just across the border, where more complex collective training was completed prior to departure overseas. A large majority of the battalion's initial intake of volunteers came from the Albury–Wodonga region and as a result, the 2/23rd became known as "Albury's Own"
This item is part of a collection of items owned by Arthur Lock, a member of the 2/23rd Battalion, an all-volunteer Second Australian Imperial Force which served as part of the garrison during the Siege of Tobruk, then at El Alamein, New Guinea and Borneo. It has particular local significance as the battalion was know as "Albury's Own" because a large majority of the battalion's initial intake of volunteers came from the Albury–Wodonga region.
This 2/23rd Battallion Association transfer has been laminated and attached to a card. This logo became the colour patch for the unit after their service in Tobruk.
Below colour patch "2/23rd BATTALION ASSOCIATION/ BOX 551D, G.P.O. MELBOURNE"
world war 11, rats of tobruk, 2/23rd battalion