The New South Wales Railway Institute affectionately known as “the Institute”, was initially established to provide a higher standard of educational learning for NSW railway employees. As well as employment related training, the Institute was tasked with stimulating growth and intellectual development of employees in the arts, social, leisure, and physical recreations.
The NSW Railway Institute was formally opened on the 14th of March 1891 and at the time was the only institution of its kind in the Commonwealth.
The Albury branch of the Railways Institute was formed on March 1, 1921. This included the building of a Railway Institute building as part of the Railway precinct in 1921.
On Tuesday 7 October 1952, the Daily Advertiser, Wagga reported that a move had started at Albury for the establishment of a third bowling club. The new club formed would be the Railway Institute Bowling Club and the suggested site was on Albury City Council land at the corner of Young and Smollett streets.
The Albury Railway Institute opened its bowling greens in February 1956. It later became known as Windsor Park Bowling Club.
In 2003, the Bowling Club was liquidated and was amalgamated with the Albury Soldiers Sailors & Airmen’s Club. After changes to their operating model, the club building was demolished in 2013.
This badge is representative of the role played by the NSW Railway Institute for its members and its involvement in the broader community.
Member's badge for the Railway Institute Bowling Club Albury. A small metal badge with enamel finish depicting the logo of the club in green, red, gold and white.
Inscriptions & markings
Around the central logo "RAILWAY INSTITUTE BOWLING CLUB ALBURY/ 78-79"