This prescription book contains the entries of a chemist shop in Timor Street, Warrnambool from 1911 to 1946. During that time there were various chemists in the business trading for most of the time as R.F. Kennedy and Co. and later successors to R.F. Kennedy and Co, with one known name being that of J. Paterson. Richard Frank Kennedy established his wholesale, retail and manufacturing chemist's business in Warrnambool in 1880 and it became a leading business in Warrnambool. After Kennedy's death in 1903 the business continued as R.F.Kennedy and Co. The entries in the book show the type of medicines and prescriptions used in Warrnambool over a period of thirty years.
This is a significant item, firstly because it is a record of an important business in 20th century Warrnambool and secondly because it is a great social record of one aspect of the health of residents in Warrnambool and district at that time.
This is a ledger of 502 pages with a heavy cardboard cover with red leather edgings. The binding is largely missing and the ledger is held together with adhesive tape. The pages contain an alphabetical section at the front and handwritten entries in blue and black ink.
Inscriptions & markings
R.F. Kennedy & Co.