No Particular Order
W.A.I.E Annual Reports, Student Magazines, Programs, Site Plans, Principal's Report, Various Booklets
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the place now called Victoria, and all First Peoples living and working on this land. We celebrate the history and contemporary creativity of the world’s oldest living culture and pay respect to Elders — past, present and future.
Please be aware that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Some material may contain terms that reflect authors’ views, or those of the period in which the item was written or recorded but may not be considered appropriate today. These views are not necessarily the views of Victorian Collections.
Users of this site should be aware that in many areas of Australia, reproduction of the names and photographs of deceased people is restricted during a period of mourning. The length of this time varies and is determined by the community.
Reuse of any Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander material on this site may require cultural clearances. Users are advised to contact the source organisation to discuss appropriate reuse.
Can you reuse this media without permission? No (with exceptions, see below)
All rights reserved
This media item is licensed under "All rights reserved". You cannot share (i.e. copy, distribute, transmit) or rework (i.e. alter, transform, build upon) this item, or use it for commercial purposes without the permission of the copyright owner. However, an exception can be made if your intended use meets the "fair dealing" criteria. Uses that meet this criteria include research or study; criticism or review; parody or satire; reporting news; enabling a person with a disability to access material; or professional advice by a lawyer, patent attorney, or trademark attorney.
Please acknowledge the item’s source, creator and title (where known)
Have a question? Contact Warrnambool and District Historical Society Inc.
No Particular Order
W.A.I.E Annual Reports, Student Magazines, Programs, Site Plans, Principal's Report, Various Booklets
This is a financial record of goods bought from the Warrnambool property of Woodend owned by the Davidson family. Entry dates are from 1895 to 1924. The property Woodend was founded by James Davidson in 1853/1854. James Davidson came to Australia in 1847 and arrived in Warrnambool with his family and his brother in 1850. He had a store in Warrnambool in partnership with J.C. A Kruger and was also an auctioneer. He died as a result of an accident at sea in 1862 and his family continued on at the Woodend farm.
This item is of interest as a record of the day to day purchases of a Warrnambool farmer in the late 19th and 20th centuries.
This is a hard covered book with a mottled pattern on the cover. The binding is black. The pages contain printed red lines and hand written entries in black ink.
warrnambool woodend farm
This booklet gives details of the matches played by the Warrnambool High School Cricket Club, A Grade Team, for the 1932-33 season. The home ground appeared to be the one at the Showgrounds but they also played at the Woollen Mill oval. Teams played against include the Catholic Young Men's Society, Bushfield Cricket Club, Australian Natives Association, the Footballers, the Indians, the Woollen Mill Cricket Club, Camperdown and Nirranda-Naringal.
This item is of considerable interest as it is a memento of the Warrnambool High School Cricket Team in the 1930s with the list of players names providing a tool for further research.
A hard cover book, coloured blue, with a with white printing on the front and pages with green columns, green printing and handwritten entries in black ink. The cover is partly detached from the pages.
Warrnambool High School Cricket Club A Team Season 1932-33 J. Whitehead Hon Sec F.G.N. Ewence - Scorers
This cash book comes from the National Bank of Warrnambool and the entries date from 1909 to 1911.The Warrnambool National Bank opened in 1867. The bank opened in temporary premises in Timor Street and in 1869 it moved to a new stone building on the corner of Timor and Kepler Streets which it occupied until 1975. The National Australia Bank still operates today in Koroit Street.
This cash book is of considerable interest mostly because of the listing of local names in the early 20th Century.
This is a ledger used as a cash book. It has printed red lines and hand written entries in black and red ink. It also has the National Bank stamp. The hard board cover has a mottled pattern on the back and the front and is completely detached from the pages.
This letter book contains letters written by representatives of the Warrnambool Lance Patent Pan Company to agents in Western Australia during the period 1896 to 1913. This company was formed to market the Lance Patent Cess Pan produced by George Lance in Warrnambool. The Western Australian venture did not prove profitable for the company. George Lance was a Warrnambool plumber and gasfitter who produced the Eureka Pump and the Lance Patent Cess Pan. The latter sold widely in Victoria with the Warrnambool Council owning 1700 of these pans in 1896. George Lance was also prominent in Warrnambool as a musician, artist (eleven of his works are in the Warrnambool Art Gallery)and local history writer. He was also involved in the development of the Warrnambool Mechanics Institute and the establishment of the Warrnambool School of Art and Design and the Warrnambool Art Gallery.
This letter book is of considerable interest as it gives details on one aspect of the George Lance invention of the Patent Cess Pan (its marketing) and George Lance played an important role in Warrnambool's late 19th century history.
This is a letter book of 506 pages. It has a hardboard cover with a mottled red pattern and red binding on the spine. The pages contain an alphabetical index and copies of letters handwritten in black ink. There are many blank pages. The letter book cover is torn at the edges.
george lance patent cess pan
This journal has been used by the Warrnambool doctor, Irving Buzzard to record his surgical operations and procedures from 1931 to 1944. Dr Irving Buzzard (1897-1981) was one of Warrnambool's best-known doctors, especially in the field of gynaecology and obstetrics. He came to Warrnambool in 1929 with his practice at Cambourne in Raglan Parade. He left Warrnambool in 1964. Whilst in Warrnambool he was active in medical associations and local community affairs. The Irving Buzzard Midwifery prize is awarded annually by the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation (Victorian branch).
This journal is of considerable significance as it gives an insight into the work of a general medical practitioner in Warrnambool in the first half of the 20th century (For instance, the journal records that in 1931 Dr Buzzard carried out 38 major operations and 132 minor procedures.)
This is a ledger of 193 pages with a hardboard black cover and the remains of brown leather binding on the spine and cover corners. The cover is partly detached from the pages. The pages contain printed red lines and handwritten entries in black ink. Pages 1 to 72 are missing and there are many blank pages.
dr irving buzzard
This ledger contains the prescriptions given by a Warrnambool chemist from 1928 to 1931. The entries include information on the clients names, the dates and the contents of the prescriptions. Much of the content of the prescriptions is not intelligible to the lay person today. Unfortunately the name of the chemist is not known.
This ledger is of interest because of the names included and these provide information for researchers.
This is a ledger with a hard cover with cloth covering and leather binding. The inside covers have a red mottled pattern. The pages contain an alphabetical index at the front, printed red lines and black headings with hand written entries in black ink The leather spine and cover are damaged.
This ledger contains a list of payments in the estates of insolvents in the Warrnambool area from 1913 to 1930. It comes from the Warrnambool Court of Insolvency. The payments have been made to the Estates Official Assignee.
This ledger is of historic interest and provides a useful tool for researchers.
This is a ledger of 206 pages with hard green cover with red leather binding and a label on the front cover with black printing. The cover has a red sticker with black numbers and the spine has a blue sticker with numbers. The pages contain printed red lines, black printing and hand written material in blue, black and red ink. The pages contain one loose sheet and are edged with a mottled pattern. The cover and spine are somewhat damaged.
warrnambool insolvency cases early 20th century
This is the roll book of the Warrnambool State School Cadet Corps. It covers the dates 1894 to 1896. The information in the note book contains the names of the male Cadets and their commanding officers, attendance details, some of the Corps rules and the total numbers in the Corps at the time ( 46 on the roll in 1894 and 39 on the roll in 1895.) The Cadet Corps in Warrnambool was operated by the local Volunteer Corps which was established in 1855 and had several name changes over the next fifty years. Warrnambool State School Cadet Corps was established in the mid 1880s and the local private Grammar School had a Cadet Corps at the same time. School Cadet Corps focussed on drill exercises, rifle target shooting and bayonet practice.
This note book is of considerable interest as a record of the 19th Century Cadet Corps and the list of names provides researchers with important material.
This is a small note book with a front hard cover, which is stained and the back cover missing. It is held together with opaque adhesive tape. The pages contain handwritten material in ink and pencil. There is one torn page .
Roll Book of Warrnambool State School Cadet Corps
warrnambool cadet corps
These three books contain braille printing and may have come from The Victorian Association of Braille Writers and may have been used by Miss Skirrow in South Warrnambool in 1916. This latter information comes from the loose card in one of the books. Braille writing was invented by the French man Louis Braille in 1824 based on the French alphabet.
These books are of historical interest and appear to have local significance.
.1 A hard cover book with a mottled pattern and black bindings containing 42 pages of braille printing. There is one loose card. .2 and .3 as above except for the card and .2 has 32 pages ,.3 has 36 pages
.1 L9 55 .2 L9 53 .3 L9 54
warrnambool history, vintage braille books
Warrnambool City Council Collection
Information contained in three ledgers
Newspaper cuttings from The Warrnambool Standard concerning the Warrnambool Town/ City Council
warrnambool town/ city council meetings.
warrnambool town/ city council meetings.
These two notebooks come from Christ Church in Warrnambool. One contains the cash transactions of the Christ Church wardens (Folio 78) with the National Bank of Australasia (1932-1938) and the other contains the financial transactions of the Christ Church Parochial Missionary Association, Warrnambool (1933-1940). The Anglican Christ Church in Warrnambool was opened in 1856 with the addition of the nave in 1860 and the square tower in 1882.
These cash books are of historic interest as records of financial transactions of Christ Church in Warrnambool in the first half of the 20th century.
.1 A buff-coloured, hard cover notebook with handwriting on the front cover. The pages contain ruled black lines and printing and handwritten material in black and red ink. .2 A hard cover notebook with a blue cover with dark red leather binding. The pages contain printed red lines and handwritten material in black ink.
Christ Church Parochial Missionary Association Warrnambool
christ church warrnambool
This notebook appears to be the Warrnambool Water Trust Records of two contracts in 1892 . (The reference is written as 'W.W.Trust'.) The first contract, with the contractors, Coates and Reed, is for the excavation for settling tanks and clear water basin and a reservoir in Liebig Street and there are 60 pages giving details of these works - labour, masonry, concreting, fencing etc. The second contract with the contractor, William Kellas, is for the erection of a cottage and an engine shed and boiler room (7 pages). The Warrnambool Water Trust was set up in 1891 and the first project was the supply of water from the Merri River near Wollaston to a reservoir and tower in Liebig Street and this notebook concerns some details of this early water supply scheme.
This notebook is of some interest as it supplies details of a late 19th century Warrnambool water supply scheme and so should be of value to local history researchers
This is a notebook with a red leather cover and pages with printed headings and ruled red lines. The pages contain handwriting in black ink. The cover has a label (partly torn) with handwriting.
Returns Contracts 1 & 2
warrnambool water supply
These ledgers contain the purchase details by various people in the Warrnambool region of items obtained from Thomas Patrick Hyland, a produce merchant and insurance agent with a business in Fairy Street, Warrnambool. One ledger dates from 1955 to 1960 and the other ledger dates from 1970 to 1978.
These two ledgers are of interest as a example of a Warrnambool produce store business in the second half of the 20th Century and as a source of information on the purchasers, people living in the Warrnambool area at that time.
.1 A ledger with brown corded fabric cover, a metal spine with leather trimming and gold strips. Metal screws are inserted into the spine. The pages have red and blue lines and black printing and hand written material. The first few pages have the remnants of an alphabetical index with leather tabs. The ledger is worn and stained. .2 As above without an index or leather tabs. It has metal hinges.
warrnambool businesses, thomas hyland produce merchant and insurance agent
Henri Worland writings collected by the Warrnambool City Council
Preservation of important historical records
The collection is in folders in a container
Writings on Warrnambool history by Henri Worland - radio talks, lectures, letters and notes, hand written and typed.
henri worland, warrnambool history
henri worland, warrnambool history
This chair is believed to have come from the homestead of Dr. Daniel Curdie (1810-1884) who arrived in Australia in 1839. He established a property called Tandarook ten miles south of Camperdown. At first he combined farming with a medical practice as he was the only doctor in the coastal regions between Geelong and Portland. After 1850 he concentrated on farming and exploratory tours of the region. The chair may have been used for some or all of his ten children.
This chair is of considerable significance firstly because of its rustic nature and age, being a hand made item and secondly because of its association with Dr. Daniel Curdie, one of the important pioneers of the Western District.
This is a hand made wooden chair with two struts at the back and four struts supporting the legs. The seat is also wooden. Wooden pegs in some places have been replaced by screws.
This washing machine is an early model hand machine which came from Allansford, near Warrnambool.
This item is an interesting example of an early washing machine with its primitive and simple parts.
This is a cylindrical galvanised metal tub mounted on a metal stand. It has a metal ring around the top of the tub and a wooden handle serving as the washing mechanism. The name of the manufacturer is stencilled on the side of the tub.
QUEENS HEAD AUSTRALIA
vintage household items
This pusher was made in 1917 for twins named Ron and Oswald Warburton, from the Warrnambool area. From the design it appears that it could have been hand made or come from a wheelwright or coach factory.
This item is of considerable significance as it has local provenance and it is a bespoke item which makes it one of the rare items in our collection.
This is a pusher made for twins with a seat of padded leather and curved cane back and sides. It has a wooden hinged handle and a wooden foot plate. The metal base has two large metal wheels with spokes and two small wheels with galvanised rubber around the edges.
vintage children's transport
This is a teacher's desk which came from Woodford State School. The school began in 1854 in a private dwelling with a new building constructed in 1874. The school still operates today.
This is a very fine example of an early 20th century school teacher's desk. As it comes from one of the earliest schools in the district, it is of considerable significance.
This is a wooden desk, now varnished, with a lift up, slanted lid with brass hinges and a brass key hole. On the top right hand side is a brass insert with a porcelain ink well. The desk has four turned legs with end struts. The desk lid may be made of pine but the rest of the desk seems to be made of a different wood. There are signs of old borer on the left hand front and the curved part on that side is missing.
woodford state school
Collection of items donated in past by unknown donor(s)
Record of Warrnambool Benefit Group
Collection kept in archival boxes and recorded on data base
Lodge Minute Books (6), Rule Books (2), Accounting sheets (3)
warrnambool benefit societies
warrnambool benefit societies
This towel is a souvenir of the Centenary of Victoria celebrated in 1934. It marks the centenary of the officially-recognized first permanent European settlement at Portland with the arrival of the Henty families in 1834 in Victoria (then known as the colony of Port Phillip). European settlement occurred at Melbourne in the following year. This towel is one of many souvenir items produced in 1934.
This towel is of minor interest as a memento of the centenary of Victoria. It is a comparatively rare souvenir of that event as towels such as this would have been used and most would not have survived for nearly 90 years.
This is a white cotton towel with a white fringe at both ends. There is a red strip down the centre of the back of the towel with red lettering in this strip down the front of the towel.The maker's name is stitched into one corner.
Centenary 1934 Osman
centenary of victoria
This ledger contains details of debts owed by people in the Warrnambool district. It dates from 1906 to 1916. The compiler of the ledger is unknown. Many of the debtors are Chinese, mostly working as market gardeners in the north Warrnambool area and the debts usually concerned rents and the supply of agricultural items such as chaff. These Chinese, many of whom came from the Victorian goldfields, operated market gardens and businesses in the town of Warrnambool from the 1870s to the 1930s or 40s.
This ledger is of interest because of the names of people listed as debtors and in particular the names of Chinese working in the district. The ledger is thus a valuable research tool.
This is a ledger with a thick card cover in a mottled pattern in red, black, blue and yellow colours The spine, which has some damage, is covered in a maroon coloured leather. The pages are ruled with red lines and the entries are handwritten in ink. There are some loose pages.
Debtor's Ledger C.L.
warrnambool chinese market gardeners
This ledger was used in the business of Twites Bakery which was in Timor Street Warrnambool and dates from the 1940s or 1950s. Max Cust, a breadcutter and relief driver at Twites, used this ledger to record the bread delivered in the South Warrnambool area. He lived in Banyan Street, Warrnambool and worked at Twites for a great number of years.
This ledger is of interest as an example of the way bread deliveries were recorded in Warrnambool in the mid 20th century and tells us a little about many of the people living in South Warrnambool at that time.
This is a ledger of 285 pages. It has a green thick card cover with tan leather spine and corners. The cover is scratched and stained and a couple of corners are a little tattered. The pages are ruled and contain handwritten names and delivery details in ink.
This is a map of the Farnham Special Survey. In 1843 William Rutledge purchased this Special Survey of 5,120 acres and named it Farnham. This Survey extended from Tower Hill to the Merri River at Dennington. The map appears to date from the 1850s
This early map is of considerable significance as it shows details of the Farnham Special Survey. William Rutledge and his survey are important influences in the development of Warrnambool and district with the establishment of settlements at Killarney, Yangery and Tower Hill.
A hand drawn map on waxed paper in brown, black and blue ink. It shows Armstrong's Bay, sea, Crown Land , the names of properties and some roads. It includes a compass direction diagram.
farnham special survey
The card relates to the Official Centenary Ball held in the Warrnambool Town Hall in March 1947 to celebrate the city's Centenary in 1947. Warrnambool was founded as a port settlement to service the farming interests in the area, with the first land sales held in Melbourne in July 1847. The leaflet is a programme of the Civic Memorial Service held in the Botanic Gardens in Warrnambool in February1952 on the occasion of the death of King George VI of England. Both items came from memorabilia held by the Bamford family of 8 Monash Avenue Warrnambool and it is presumed that one or more members of that family attended the events.
These items are of minor significance as mementoes of events in Warrnambool mid 20th century
.1 A white card with black printing and a logo .2 A sheet of white paper folded to make four pages with black printing and a photograph of King George VI of England
This ledger contains a chemist's handwritten prescriptions from 1905 to 1910, giving the date, the name of the client and the prescription contents and measurements. The chemist is unnamed but the clients have Warrnambool names and a loose envelope in the ledger addressed to 'Mr H.F. Sambell' suggests that the chemist business may be that of Sambell and Son in Fairy Street Warrnambool. John Sambell established this business in Fairy Street about 1890. He died in 1906 but his son Herbert had joined the business and it was known as Sambell and Son for many years and later as Sambell, Son ad Granddaughter.
This prescription book is of interest as a record of a chemist's prescriptions in the early 20th century and it has considerable research value.
This is a ledger of 496 pages . It has a cream-coloured hard board cover with remnants of leather binding on the spine. It has ruled pages, an alphabetical index at the front and handwritten entries in ink. The cover is ragged at the edges and stained but the pages are in good condition.
Collection maintained by daughter of original owner.
Collection of items in folder in chronological order
Correspondence from Government and legal sources
warrnambool housing post world war two
warrnambool housing post world war two
This photograph was taken when John Bennett was the Chairman of the North Western Woollen Mills Company of Stawell in 1926. English born John Bennett came to Warrnambool in1909 and was the first manager of the Warrnambool Woollen Mill. He went back to Yorkshire in England to purchase equipment before the opening of the Mill in 1910. He was manager of the Warrnambool Woollen Mill for nearly 20 years, finishing in 1928 and dying in the same year. The Warrnambool Woollen Mill was a major 20th Century industry, closing in the year 2000.
This photograph is of considerable significance as a memento of the first manager of the Warrnambool Woollen Mill one of the most important industries in Warrnambool's history.
This is a black and white photograph in a circular wooden frame, with a wooden mount covered with a concave glass. It has a plaque at the base with white printing.
John E. Bennett First Chairman of Directors North Western Woollen Mills Pty. Ltd. 1926
warrnambool woollen mill
These three items are prescription books from a local Warrnambool chemist or chemists. The dates are 1895 to 1905, 1915 to 1918 and 1931 to 1935. The ledgers are untitled but at least one may come from the firm of R.F. Kennedy & Co, with this business situated in Timor Street. Richard Frank Kennedy commenced business in Warrnambool in 1880 as a wholesale, retail and manufacturing chemist and built up a large and important business. He died in 1903 but the business continued for many years with various chemists operating the business known as R.F.Kennedy and Co.
These prescription books are of considerable interest as they contain many local names and the prescriptions give us an insight into aspects of community health early in the 20th century
.1 A ledger of 502 pages with a hardboard cover, remnants of a spine with a red label, ruled pages with handwritten material in ink and an alphabetical index at the front. .2 A ledger of 502 pages with a tattered cover and leather binding and gold lettering on the spine. The pages are ruled with handwritten material in ink and an alphabetical index .3 A ledger of 500 pages with a hardboard cover. The spine is almost completely missing. The pages contain an alphabetical index, ruled red lines and handwritten material in ink.
This skirt was made by the Fletcher Jones company as part of the uniform of the Penleigh Grammar School, Essendon, Melbourne. David Fletcher Jones (1895-1977) setup as a travelling hawker in the 1920s selling drapery in Western Victoria. In 1924 he opened a store in Warrnambool, moving into a two-storeyed building in Liebig Street in 1931. He manufactured and sold men's clothing at this site, opening a store in Melbourne in 1946 and a factory in Warrnambool in 1948. The company of Fletcher Jones and Staff, established in 1951, opened more stores and factories and operated Australia-wide and became well-known firstly for its production of men's trousers and later men's and women's clothing. By 2011 the Warrnambool factory was sold and the company dissolved.
This skirt is of interest as a fine example of the quality clothing made by the Fletcher Jones clothing company. This business commenced in Warrnambool and was a dominant one in Warrnambool (and Australia) during the 20th century.
This is a woman's tartan skirt in green and navy tonings. The skirt is pleated at the back and sides and has a silver-coloured metal buckle at the left side. It has metal clips and buttons that adjust the waistline size and a green cloth folder designed as a wallet with a press stud closer inside the front waist.
College Apparel by Fletcher Jones Australia
fletcher jones clothing stores
This book has a black cover with gold-coloured printing on the front and spine. The pages contain reprints of the Victorian School Papers of one year with printed text, black and white photographs, songs with music, maps and sketches. One page is partly torn
vintage school reading material
Victorian Collections acknowledges the Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the first inhabitants of the nation and the traditional custodians of the lands where we live, learn and work.