This skirt was made by the Fletcher Jones company as part of the uniform of the Penleigh Grammar School, Essendon, Melbourne. David Fletcher Jones (1895-1977) setup as a travelling hawker in the 1920s selling drapery in Western Victoria. In 1924 he opened a store in Warrnambool, moving into a two-storeyed building in Liebig Street in 1931. He manufactured and sold men's clothing at this site, opening a store in Melbourne in 1946 and a factory in Warrnambool in 1948. The company of Fletcher Jones and Staff, established in 1951, opened more stores and factories and operated Australia-wide and became well-known firstly for its production of men's trousers and later men's and women's clothing. By 2011 the Warrnambool factory was sold and the company dissolved.
This skirt is of interest as a fine example of the quality clothing made by the Fletcher Jones clothing company. This business commenced in Warrnambool and was a dominant one in Warrnambool (and Australia) during the 20th century.
This is a woman's tartan skirt in green and navy tonings. The skirt is pleated at the back and sides and has a silver-coloured metal buckle at the left side. It has metal clips and buttons that adjust the waistline size and a green cloth folder designed as a wallet with a press stud closer inside the front waist.
Inscriptions & markings
College Apparel by Fletcher Jones Australia