This chair is believed to have come from the homestead of Dr. Daniel Curdie (1810-1884) who arrived in Australia in 1839. He established a property called Tandarook ten miles south of Camperdown. At first he combined farming with a medical practice as he was the only doctor in the coastal regions between Geelong and Portland. After 1850 he concentrated on farming and exploratory tours of the region. The chair may have been used for some or all of his ten children.
This chair is of considerable significance firstly because of its rustic nature and age, being a hand made item and secondly because of its association with Dr. Daniel Curdie, one of the important pioneers of the Western District.
This is a hand made wooden chair with two struts at the back and four struts supporting the legs. The seat is also wooden. Wooden pegs in some places have been replaced by screws.