These keys were used to ensure security at the Wodonga Police Station in Elgin Street which opened in 1966. They were used for approximately 40 years at this police station which moved to a new location in Hovell Street, Wodonga in 2002. They may have originated from the earlier police which was located in High Street, Wodonga and opened in the 1870s. The keys were created by J. Hubball, a locksmith based at 474 Little Lonsdale Street, Melbourne. He was also known as Joseph or Josh Hubball. He operated from these premises from the early 1920s until at least the 1940s. He gained a contract to provide locks and keys for many prisons throughout Australia, including Pentridge Gaol in Melbourne, Victoria and Caboolture Police Station in Queensland. His company also created keys used at Mayday Hills in Beechworth, Victoria. On 28th of March 1947, Hubball applied for a certificate of Incorporation of a Company in his name. The Directors of this company were William Hubball & Alfred Hubball.
This key comes from the Police Station in Wodonga and was used for at least 40 years to secure the premises. It was created by a well-known Melbourne locksmith.
A bunch of assorted keys from the Police Station in Elgin Street, Wodonga. They include keys for the main cell door as well as the exercise yard and gate room.
Inscriptions & markings
On largest key 'Hubball" and on the reverse "Melbourne"