Historical information

Date estimated to be circa 1912 based on the style of printing on the reverse of the card - Kodak Austral paper for real photo postcards, the paper was manufactured c.1908-1914
(See also POSTCARDS ON KODAK PAPER - IS IT POSSIBLE TO "DATE" THEM? http://tps.org.au/bb/viewtopic.php?t=115)

Brougham Street was created in Josiah Holloway's 1851 subdivision of Little Eltham. It was one of several east-west streets shown on the subdivision plan as crossing the Diamond Creek. The western part was named Wellington Street on the subdivision plan but was later changed to conform with the name of the eastern part as acknowledgement of the continuity of the street.

It is not known when the first bridge was constructed in Brougham Street however it was certainly mentioned at Council’s meeting of 2 June 1884 as being in a dangerous state of repair. This photo (c.1895) of an old bridge shows a very low-level simple log girder bridge crossing the creek at a right angle and so the approaches involved bends in the road alignment. This bridge was generally known as Kaylocks Bridge or Kaylock’s Crossing after the owner of the adjoining land. It was most likely built from around the mid-1850s, or a crossing of some fashion established as Richard George Kaylock, butcher of Little Eltham and his wife Emily Ann settled there in 1854. His property was in Wellington Street (now Brougham Street) and apparently extended across the Diamond Creek. The land on the western side of the creek was farmed, the house being on the eastern side.

Kaylock's Bridge formed part of the original coach road to Eltham and in 1922 was described as an "old rustic bridge". Its low level and insubstantial construction made it susceptible to flood damage, necessitating frequent closures until repairs could be carried out.

In September 1922, Council called for tenders for a new timber bridge to be constructed at Kaylock’s crossing. An engineering assessment carried out for the Council by Macleod Consulting at the time of the replacement suggested that the construction details indicate that it was in the 1900s, however this dating could possibly have been the result of numerous repairs undertaken over the years to flood damage.

The tender was awarded to Mr Weller of Kangaroo Ground who commenced work in February 1923 on a higher-level timber trestle bridge. Work was slowed due to illness of the contractor and the accidental death of a man in March 1923 following the collapse of the bank after he had jumped into a hole that had just been blasted.

The bridge was completed around July 1923 at which point the old structure was pulled up, marking what was described in the ‘Advertiser’ newspaper as the passing of an old and well-loved landmark in the district.

In April 1924 the approach to Kaylocks bridge was washed away during the heavy flooding that destroyed the Main Road bridge. The western side was repaired, and an extra span was added to the eastern side using timber from the destroyed Main Road bridge. The bridge was again severely damaged four months later in August 1924

When a lack of finances delayed repairs to the Bridge Street bridge in 1931 (also referred to as Obelisk Bridge at the time), traffic had to detour via Brougham Street for some time. Local residents feared that the Bridge Street bridge might never reopen.

Kaylocks Bridge was constantly subject to damage by floods. In the 1934 flood it was submerged by two feet of water.

In more recent times the bridge was again severely damaged by flooding and repairs made. A new bridge and adjoining footbridge were constructed in 2009.

Physical description

Digital file only
Postcards scanned from the collection of Michael Aitken on loan to EDHS, 2 Sep. 2022