Historical information

View looking through Wingrove Park from near the Diamond Creek Trail towards the Coles Express Service Station and Mount Pleasant Road intersection.

Comparison photo: SEPP_0720 Eltham Tennis Court, c.1909 and SEPP_0721 - Eltham Tennis Court, Lady Premiers 1909-1910
The tennis courts were located in Bremner’s Flats, present day Wingrove Park.
The Eltham Lawn Tennis Club was formed on a Saturday evening, the 29th of October, 1898 at a meeting held at the Eltham State school. Twenty members were enrolled, and eight more shortly afterwards. Officers and a committee were duly elected, and the Treasurer was instructed to purchase the necessary requisites without delay. By the end of the first week in November all the requisites were to hand, two courts were marked out, and practice begun. The formal opening of the Courts of this Club took place on Saturday, November 12, 1898, when 26 members and their friends assembled.

Part of a presentation by Peter Pidgeon to the Society, 13 August 2022 showcasing a series of photographs taken by John Henry Clark over the period 1895 to 1930.

John Henry Clark was the youngest of three boys born to William Henry Clark (1823-1877) and Maria White (1843-1914). He and his brothers, William Charles Clark (1872-1945), Clement Kent Clark (1874-1912) operated a photography business (Clark Bros.) from 25 Thomas Street, Windsor near Prahran during the period c.1894 to 1914. Following death of Clement in September 1912 and their mother in 1914, the Clark Bros business appears to have dissolved, the premises demolished, and a new house was under construction in 1915. John set up business independently in 1914 operating out of 29 Moor Street, Fitzroy where he is registered in the 1914 and 1915 Electoral Rolls.

By 1916 John had relocated to Eltham where he continued his practice as a photographer and took many of the early images around the district of Little Eltham.

Around 1930 John changed professions and opened a small cobbler's shop in 1931 near the pond opposite Dalton Street adjacent to the Jarrold family cottage. He never married and continued his profession as a bootmaker from this little shop, maintaining a close relationship with Mrs Jarrold for the rest of their lives. His bootmaker shop remains today beside the Whitecloud cottage and is one of only three remaining shops in the area from the early 20th century.


Comparative photo taken 2022 with one taken from same location over 100 years earlier by noted local photographer J.H. Clark

Physical description

Born Digital