Historical information

The view is taken from Main Road opposite Dalton Street looking northwest across Wingrove Park Trail and White Cloud cottage which belonged to the Jarrold family
Comparison photo: 00779 - Pond near Eltham Park, c.1910
Shows the pond near Eltham Park (later Eltham Lower Park) circa 1910. The view is taken from Maria Street (Main Road) opposite Dalton Street looking northwest across the Dalton Street road extension reserve (now Wingrove Park Trail) and Jarrold farm. A haystack is visible. Also visible is a kerosene streetlight and Jarrold family cottage
The pond was drained by Council in 1932 due to claims of mosquitoes though locals such as Thekla Jarrold and John Clark disputed this and protested to Council about the draining. It was in this news article that Thekla stated she had lived there 39 years and John Clark 22 years without cause for concern.

Part of a presentation by Peter Pidgeon to the Society, 13 August 2022 showcasing a series of photographs taken by John Henry Clark over the period 1895 to 1930.

John Henry Clark was the youngest of three boys born to William Henry Clark (1823-1877) and Maria White (1843-1914). He and his brothers, William Charles Clark (1872-1945), Clement Kent Clark (1874-1912) operated a photography business (Clark Bros.) from 25 Thomas Street, Windsor near Prahran during the period c.1894 to 1914. Following death of Clement in September 1912 and their mother in 1914, the Clark Bros business appears to have dissolved, the premises demolished, and a new house was under construction in 1915. John set up business independently in 1914 operating out of 29 Moor Street, Fitzroy where he is registered in the 1914 and 1915 Electoral Rolls.

By 1916 John had relocated to Eltham where he continued his practice as a photographer and took many of the early images around the district of Little Eltham.

Around 1930 John changed professions and opened a small cobbler's shop in 1931 near the pond opposite Dalton Street adjacent to the Jarrold family cottage. He never married and continued his profession as a bootmaker from this little shop, maintaining a close relationship with Mrs Jarrold for the rest of their lives. His bootmaker shop remains today beside the Whitecloud cottage and is one of only three remaining shops in the area from the early 20th century.


Comparative photo taken 2022 with one taken from same location over 100 years earlier by noted local photographer J.H. Clark

Physical description

Born Digital