The permanent fruit fly road blocks in Victoria began in 1958. The first was set up on the Lincoln Causeway between Albury and Wodonga. The aim was to protect the Victorian fruit export industry, the largest in the country. Cars would be stopped and inspected when entering Victoria. At peaks periods, such as Easter and school holidays, there were up to 10 inspectors at the 24 hour checkpoint near the former butter factory on the Lincoln Causeway. Local residents could apply for a pass which would be displayed on their window, but were still subject to random checks. Hundreds of tonnes of fruit each week was confiscated and pulverised by Department of Agriculture staff. The road block was closed in 1980, partly due to the increased traffic flows and the cost of maintaining inspection points.
This image reflects government measures taken to protect the fruit industry in Victoria.
A large image of the LIncoln Causeway at the Victorian/NSW border at Wodonga. The southbound lanes on the right hand side feature overhead signals and traffic light signs to control traffic leading into the Fruit fly inspection checkpoint ahead. The photo is in a wooden frame.
Inscriptions & markings
On right hand side: Border sign: Wodonga/Victoria and the Victorian State Coat of Arms.