Historical information

William Morris was born in Eltham in 1848 or 1849. He was married three times; his second wife had the same surname as his first so they may have been sisters. He was described as "jolly and hearty" and ran a publican's booth at the Eltham Races in 1903, reportedly doing a good trade. He was an Eltham Shire Councillor between 1897 and 1918 and was Shire President in 1911.

The Evelyn Hotel was situated in Main Road Eltham, immediately opposite its competitor the Eltham Hotel. It had opened as the Fountain of Friendship Hotel by 1854, when it was described as having "twelve spacious apartments all canvassed and papered", but had changed its name by 1878. The proprietor from about 1889 until 1919 was William Morris; he was also the licensee for most of that time. (The William Morris who was a butcher at Eltham in the early 1900s was no relation.) It advertised that it had "good stables", located behind the hotel in Pitt Street, a necessity for hotels at the time. Mail coaches en route from Heidelberg to Queenstown (now St Andrews), Panton Hill and Kangaroo Ground changed horses there. It was de-licensed as a hotel in 1919 but continued to operate as a boarding house until it was destroyed by fire in 1931.

William died in 1922 and is buried in Eltham Cemetery with several other family members.

The Beloved Wife of
William Morris
Who died 5th October 1880
Aged 24 years
Alfred George Morris
Died 11th September 1880, aged 1 year
William Morris
Died 8th December 1922
Aged 74 years
At Rest

Physical description

Born Digital