Historical information

The foundation stone of a new bridge over the Plenty River at Morang (now Mernda) was laid by Mrs. John Wilton of Wilton Vale, in August 1866. The silver trowel was presented to Mrs. Wilton by Moses Thomas, chairman of the road board. The bluestone bridge was officially opened by Moses Thomas on the 12th of February 1867.


The location of the silver trowel in this rare image is unknown.

Physical description

A4 single page (double sided) with image and a list of items numbered 461 - 495.

Inscriptions & markings

Item 486. Important Australian Silver Presentation Trowel., inscribed "Presented to Mr John Wilkin of Wilkin Dale Morang on the Occasion of the Laying of the Foundation Stone, the Bridge of the Plenty River at the Junction of the Parishes of Morang and Yan Yean by the Morang District Road Board, August 1866, Fine Engraved Scroll Decorated Border, Turned Ivory Handle, Maker R. R. Illustrated Page 27.