Historical information

John Warren Glover was a significant operator of cyanide re-processing works in the goldfields from around 1900. He lived at 123 Webster Street for many years, and operated quite a substantial three roomed private laboratory on the grounds for assays associated with his operations. This balance was sued at that laboratory. The Webster Street is believed to be the first brick fronted house in Ballarat and the bricks were ballast from a Scottish Ship. property remained in the Glover Family until it was sold in 1955.

John Warren had Car or Licence Registration no 12.

Physical description

A German made beam balance that would have been an extremely sensitive, and top of the line for its time (probably 1910 – 20’s). It has a long beam and a complex system of jewel knife edges and bearings.



Inscriptions & markings

Plaque on front with C. Staudinger & Co. Machf, Gisssen (Gibben)