Historical information

John Danks & Son Pty Ltd began as a plumbing business in 1859, established by brothers John and Samuel.
It occupied the 391-403 Bourke Street, Melbourne, for 100 years.
The business quickly grew to include factories in Melbourne and Sydney which manufactured and supplied a variety of plumbing and engineering products such as brassware, pumps, windmills and bells.
In 1889, John Danks & Son Limited was formed
Following John Danks' death in 1902, his son Aaron, later Sir Aaron led the company.
Aaron's son Fred, became Chairman and Managing Director upon his father's death in 1928.


A letter from the Danks firm can be found in scrapbboks 1. The bell is heritage listed.

Physical description

Bell located in the St Peter chapel at the 717 Flinders Street Mission to Seafarers