The pair of epaulettes once belonged to W.R. Angus, who possibly wore them when he worked his passage fo or from the UL in the 1920s. The epaulettes are part of Flagstaff Hill’s comprehensive W.R. Angus Collection, donated by the family of Dr W R Angus (1901-1970), surgeon and oculist.
William Roy Angus (1901-1970) qualified as a doctor in 1923. He decided he further his studies overseas in the UK in 1927, sailing on the ship SS Banffshire (built in 1912, destroyed in 1937). He studied at London University College Hospital and at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary and in 1928 he was awarded FRCS (Fellow from the Royal College of Surgeons), Edinburgh, Scotland. He worked his passage back to Australia as a Ship’s Surgeon on the Australian Commonwealth Line T.S.S. Largs Bay, purchased by the White Star Line in 1928.
Dr W R Angus was a Surgeon Captain for the Australian Defence Forces, Army Medical Corps, stationed in Ballarat, Victoria, and in Bonegilla, N.S.W. He completed his service just before the end of the war due to suffering from a heart attack.
The W.R. Angus Collection: -
The W.R. Angus Collection includes historical medical equipment, surgical instruments and material belonging to Dr Edward Ryan and Dr Thomas Francis Ryan, (both of Nhill, Victoria) and Dr Angus’ own belongings. The Collection’s history spans the medical practices of the two Doctors Ryan, from 1885-1926 plus that of Dr Angus, up until 1969. It includes historical medical and surgical equipment and instruments from the doctors Edward and Thomas Ryan of Nhill, Victoria.
Dr Angus married Gladys in 1927 at Ballarat, the nearest big city to Nhill where he began as a Medical Assistant. He was also Acting House surgeon at the Nhill hospital where their two daughters were born. During World War II He served as a Military Doctor in the Australian Defence Forces.
Dr Angus and his family moved to Warrnambool in 1939, where Dr Angus operated his own medical practice. He later added the part-time Port Medical Officer responsibility and was the last person appointed to that position. Dr Angus and his wife were very involved in the local community, including the planning stages of the new Flagstaff Hill and the layout of the gardens there. Dr Angus passed away in March 1970.
This pair of epaulettes is connected to the badges in the W.R. Angus Collection.
Dr W R Angus (1901-1970), surgeon and oculist, collected a range of badges and military objects including those he personally used during his time as Surgeon Captain in the Australian Defence Forces in World War II.
The W.R. Angus Collection is significant for still being located at the site it is connected with, Doctor Angus being the last Port Medical Officer in Warrnambool. The Collection includes historical medical objects that date back to the late 1800s.
Epaulette (pair of two), dark blue with red and gold horizontal stripes. A tall rectangular shape with a point at the top. Made from a card covered by hessian, the front is covered with a dark blue fabric joined at the back by crossed stitching.
The epaulettes belonged to Dr W R Angus and are now part of the W. R. Angus Collection.
- flagstaff hill,
- maritime village,
- maritime museum,
- shipwreck coast,
- great ocean road,
- flagstaff hill maritime museum and village,
- dr w r angus,
- w.r. angus collection,
- badge collection,
- naval epaulettes,
- naval insignia,
- shoulder boards,
- ss banffshire,
- t.s.s. largs bay,