This Personal Care kit was issued by the Australian Army to those in military service during WWII, including Dr.W.R. Angus. The kit was part of a soldier's equipment to guard against possible sexually transmitted infections. It is now part of Flagstaff Hill’s comprehensive W.R. Angus Collection, donated by the family of Dr W R Angus (1901-1970), surgeon and oculist.
Dr W R Angus was a Surgeon Captain for the Australian Defence Forces, Army Medical Corps, stationed in Ballarat, Victoria, and in Bonegilla, N.S.W. He completed his service just before the end of the war due to suffering from a heart attack.
The W.R. Angus Collection: -
The W.R. Angus Collection includes historical medical equipment, surgical instruments and material belonging to Dr Edward Ryan and Dr Thomas Francis Ryan, (both of Nhill, Victoria) and Dr Angus’ own belongings. The Collection’s history spans the medical practices of the two Doctors Ryan, from 1885-1926 plus that of Dr Angus, up until 1969. It includes historical medical and surgical equipment and instruments from the doctors Edward and Thomas Ryan of Nhill, Victoria.
Dr Angus married Gladys in 1927 at Ballarat, the nearest big city to Nhill where he began as a Medical Assistant. He was also Acting House surgeon at the Nhill hospital where their two daughters were born. During World War II He served as a Military Doctor in the Australian Defence Forces.
Dr Angus and his family moved to Warrnambool in 1939, where Dr Angus operated his own medical practice. He later added the part-time Port Medical Officer responsibility and was the last person appointed to that position. Both Dr Angus and his wife were very involved in the local community, including the planning stages of the new Flagstaff Hill and the layout of the gardens there. Dr Angus passed away in March 1970.
This item is significant in Australia's Military History. It aids in understanding life in the military and the changes to normal life and morality.
Dr W R Angus (1901-1970), surgeon and oculist, collected a range of military objects including those he personally used during his time as Surgeon Captain in the Australian Defence Forces in World War II.
The W.R. Angus Collection is significant for still being located at the site it is connected with, Doctor Angus being the last Port Medical Officer in Warrnambool. The Collection includes historical medical objects that date back to the late 1800s.
Australian Army personal care kit, WWII era. A rectangular brown box containing a small blue cardboard box with a leaflet and two small tubes of ointment inside it, four square waxed paper prophylactic packets and a brown cardboard cylinder with enclosed ends containing a waxy substance. The overall box has a handwritten inscription.
The kit belonged to Dr W R Angus and are now part of the W. R. Angus Collection.
Inscriptions & markings
On the large box, handwritten “ARMY ISSUE”
On waxed paper wrapper; “CHECKER NEW LATEX PROPHYLACTIC”
On the small box “THE BLUE LIGHT OUTFIT” “DIRECTIONS INSIDE”
- flagstaff hill,
- maritime village,
- maritime museum,
- shipwreck coast,
- great ocean road,
- flagstaff hill maritime museum and village,
- dr w r angus,
- w.r. angus collection,
- australian army,
- world war 2,
- second world war,
- australian defence forces,
- ww 2,
- ww ii,
- military equipment,
- army issue,
- personal care,
- personal hygene,
- prevention of std,
- prevention of sti,
- prevention of vd