This item is from a collection donated by descendants of John Francis Turner of Wodonga.
A wide range of small china pieces carrying scenic views of holiday destinations or key locations were a popular kind of souvenir during much of the 20th century. Several different items have been produced to commemorate Wodonga and its landmarks over time. These items document key changes in Wodonga and its heritage.
This plate depicts three key landmarks in Wodonga.
THE SOLDIERS' MEMORIAL in Wodonga was unveiled on Tuesday 18th November 1924. It was designed by Messrs. Hosken & Co., of Hawthorn, Victoria. The monument is all of Australian workmanship. The pedestal is made of Harcourt granite, 9ft x 9ft at the base, and rising in seven courses to a height of 10ft 2in. The emblems (rising sun and wreath) are of bronze, and the lettering of the inscription and names of fallen soldiers are in raised lead letters. Originally the Memorial was completed with a full life size, 6ft in height, sculpture of an Australian soldier in Sicilian marble.
The memorial bore the inscriptions: ERECTED BY THE RESIDENTS OF WODONGA AND DISTRICT IN MEMORY of the Men of this Town and District who fell in the Great War, 1914-1919, Also in grateful recognition of the men who served and returned. “Lest We Forget.”
In 1982, due to frequent vandalism and high cost of materials to repair, the soldier statue was removed and later installed at the RSL Rooms.
THE WATER TOWER is a major landmark of High Street, Wodonga. It began operation from January 1924 until it ceased operation in 1952. It stood unused for a decade until the lower section was modified and put to use as “ The Tower’s Cobbler’s Inn” in 1962. In 1972 Wodonga City Council proposed to demolish the Tower. Their suggestion received an unfavorable response from the city’s citizens, so the Tower still stands today.
THE BAND ROTUNDA was officially opened on Sunday 5th September 1924 at the naming of the triangular reserve at the corner of High and Hovell Streets as Woodland Grove. The Wodonga Band gave a public performance on this occasion. The tri-coloured ribbon, which stretched across the entrance to the Rotunda was cut by Mrs R.H Murphy, daughter of Mr. John Woodland, secretary of the Wodonga Shire Council for 35 years, after whom the area was named. The rotunda has since been moved to Martin Park, Wodonga.
This item comes from a collection used by a prominent citizen of Wodonga. It is also an excellent example of souvenir items created featuring landmarks to represent the city of Wodonga.
White glazed porcelain cream jug with grooved square handle. The base is unglazed. The rim and outer face of the handle are outlined in black paint. On one side of the jug is a black transfer print of a the Wodonga Soldiers' Memorial. Text underneath the scene reads "THE SOLDIERS' MEMORIAL, WODONGA, VIC."'. The manufacturer's trademark is printed on the base of the jug. RKG stood for Rudolf Kampf of Grunlas. The mark with the initials under the crown was used from 1921 to 1938.
Inscriptions & markings
Beneath the image: 'THE SOLDIERS' MEMORIAL WODONGA VIC"
Under the jug Manufacturer's trademark printed in orange paint, in a circular formation '(crown) / RK / G' ('RK / G' within circle with handles) above the words "Made in Czechoslovakia"