Historical information

This item is from a collection donated by descendants of John Francis Turner of Wodonga. Mr. Turner was born on 6 June 1885. He completed all of his schooling at Scotts Boarding School in Albury, New South Wales. On leaving school, he was employed at Dalgety’s, Albury as an auctioneer. In 1924 John was promoted to Manager of the Wodonga Branch of Dalgety’s.
On 15/03/1900 he married Beatrice Neal (born 7/12/1887 and died 7/2/1953) from Collingwood, Victoria. They had 4 daughters – Francis (Nancy), Heather, Jessie and Mary.
In 1920, the family moved From Albury to Wodonga, purchasing their family home “Locherbie” at 169 High Street, Wodonga. "Locherbie" still stands in Wodonga in 2022. The collection contains items used by the Turner family during their life in Wodonga.
A wide range of small china pieces carrying scenic views of holiday destinations or key locations were a popular kind of souvenir during much of the 20th century. Several different items have been produced to commemorate Wodonga and its landmarks over time. These items document key changes in Wodonga and its heritage.

This plate depicts three key landmarks in Wodonga.

THE SOLDIERS' MEMORIAL in Wodonga was unveiled on Tuesday 18th November 1924. It was designed by Messrs. Hosken & Co., of Hawthorn, Victoria. The monument is all of Australian workmanship. The pedestal is made of Harcourt granite, 9ft x 9ft at the base, and rising in seven courses to a height of 10ft 2in. The emblems (rising sun and wreath) are of bronze, and the lettering of the inscription and names of fallen soldiers are in raised lead letters. Originally the Memorial was completed with a full life size, 6ft in height, sculpture of an Australian soldier in Sicilian marble.
The memorial bore the inscriptions: ERECTED BY THE RESIDENTS OF WODONGA AND DISTRICT IN MEMORY of the Men of this Town and District who fell in the Great War, 1914-1919, Also in grateful recognition of the men who served and returned. “Lest We Forget.”

In 1982, due to frequent vandalism and high cost of materials to repair, the soldier statue was removed and later installed at the RSL Rooms.

THE WATER TOWER is a major landmark of High Street, Wodonga. It began operation from January 1924 until it ceased operation in 1952. It stood unused for a decade until the lower section was modified and put to use as “ The Tower’s Cobbler’s Inn” in 1962. In 1972 Wodonga City Council proposed to demolish the Tower. Their suggestion received an unfavorable response from the city’s citizens, so the Tower still stands today.

THE BAND ROTUNDA was officially opened on Sunday 5th September 1924 at the naming of the triangular reserve at the corner of High and Hovell Streets as Woodland Grove. The Wodonga Band gave a public performance on this occasion. The tri-coloured ribbon, which stretched across the entrance to the Rotunda was cut by Mrs R.H Murphy, daughter of Mr. John Woodland, secretary of the Wodonga Shire Council for 35 years, after whom the area was named. The rotunda has since been moved to Martin Park, Wodonga.


This item comes from a collection used by a prominent citizen of Wodonga. It is also representative of a domestic item common in the 1940s and features significant landmarks used in many forms to represent the city of Wodonga.

Physical description

This bone china cup and saucer set features an image of Woodland Grove. Wodonga, Victoria. The image incorporates landmarks in Woodland Grove, including the Soldiers' Memorial, the Rotunda and the Water Tower. There is a makers' mark imprinted on the underside of the plate.

Inscriptions & markings

"ROYAL STAFFORD/BONE CHINA/ MADE IN ENGLAND/ 423" . A crown is in the centre of the text