Stephens Bros. of Wodonga were established c1938, having taken over the aerated water and drinks business previously operated by Messrs. E. Bartel and E. Clark. Bartel and Clark had purchased S. Mason Cordial Company from Samuel Mason Jr. in 1920. Samuel Mason Sr. began a bakery and aerated water company c1857. Stephens Brothers was operated by Lindsay, Donald and William Stephens. In 1947 they manufactured their own cement bricks to build a new factory in High Street, Wodonga. Over time they operated under various names including the Wodonga Cordial Company and Belvoir Wodonga Cordial Company. In 1938 their output of aerated waters was 100 dozen bottles a day but by 1948 that had doubled. In 1949 they also established a wood yard at their High Street premises to provide additional income during the slower winter months. In 1966 the company was purchased by the Tarax Ale Brewing Co. with Lindsay Stephens staying on as Company Manager.
These artefacts has local significance as they are representative of a well-known Wodonga manufacturing business.
2 bottles for beverages produced by Stephens Bros., Wodonga. One is a taller brown bottle bearing the label of Stephen Bros Old Style Hop Beer. The second clear glass bottle is smaller and has the brand name embossed into the bottle.
Inscriptions & markings
Label on brown bottle : "STEPHENS BROS/ WODONGA :: PHONE 39 /OLD STYLE / HOP BEER/ PRESERVATIVE ADDED"
Embossed on clear glass bottle : On side: STEPHENS BROS WODONGA
Around base of clear bottle: "THIS BOTTLE ALWAYS REMAINS THE PROPERTY OF STEPHENS BROS. WODONGA"
- Brothers made Bricks for Own Cordial Factory An article from the "Border Morning Mail" Wed 3 Aug 1949 available on Trove (https://trove.nla.gov.au/) which tells some of the early story of Stephens Brothers