Miss Olive Codling was a Foundation Member and a Life Member of the Wodonga Historical Society. Many of her prize-winning photos are held in the Society Collection. She also held a range of roles and committee positions in a wide range of Wodonga community organisations. These included the Horticultural Society, the Wodonga Arts Council, the Wodonga Camera Club and the Wodonga Lapidary Club.
Woodland Grove is located in the triangular reserve at the corner of High and Hovell Streets, Wodonga. ‘Woodland Grove,. It was named in honour of John Woodland at same time as the opening of the band rotunda in September 1920. John Woodland, Wodonga Shire’s first president, was born in Kent, England, in 1829 and came to Sydney with his parents in 1839. He arrived in the Wodonga district about 1853, where he created a successful carrier business He first lived on the Old Barnawartha Estate and a few years later purchased land at Green Hills, Wodonga West, where he farmed and also ran a hotel. The hotel licence was relinquished to give attention to duties as secretary and clerk of works to Wodonga Shire, which was then the Wodonga Riding of the Shire of Yackandandah. .He was a main agitator for the separation of Wodonga district from Yackandandah Shire. This was successful in 1876, and he became the first president of Wodonga Shire. He held this post for two years, then taking on the role of shire secretary in 1878 until 1913.
He concurrently undertook the role of clerk of works (engineer) from 1896 to 1907. As clerk of works he prepared the plans and specifications for, and supervised the construction of, the big bridges on the Albury road and at Bonegilla and other important works. In his mid 70s, he proffered his resignation on a number of occasions but it was not accepted.
Despite physical weakness and impaired vision, John continued his duties to the end, with the help of his daughter Rose Murphy. Rose became shire secretary for 20 years after her father’s death in 1913.
This photo collection is significance as it documents the naming of a public area in Wodonga to honour an original and long-serving member of the Wodonga Shire Council.
A black and white photo of Woodland Grove in High Street, Wodonga. It includes the rotunda, the water tower and the soldier's memorial. There is a post and wire fence in the foreground as well as several trees and rose bushes.
Beneath the photo: "WOODLAND GROVE / Rotunda - Water Tower - Memorial"
high st wodonga, woodland grove, john woodland