These products were delivered in bulk to Wodonga and then re-bottled by the local distributors. J. Mann and Sons was first established as a farm produce store in 1921. The range of products was extended in the 1930s and included groceries and hardware, as well as the first petrol bowser in Wodonga outside the store. After WWII, the premises were extended and the range of products continued to increase. In the 1960s the Mann Family opened a new supermarket in Wodonga, in addition to the hardware business, providing steel, plumbing and industrial supplies, and they employed over 100 people at one stage. With changes in the retail industry, the Mann Family sold the main hardware business to Bunnings and the produce business to the Kelly brothers in 2006.
These items have local significance as they were supplied by prominent businesses in Wodonga.
2 brown glass bottles with triangular base. They were used to sell kerosene and methylated spirits in the middle of the 20th centuries. They were generally bottled by the local distributor from a bulk container. Bottle 1 contained Mobil Kerosene although Petrol has been written on the label and underlined. It was sold by J. Mann & Son in Wodonga. Bottle 2 contained Methylated spirits and was bottled by J.B. and R Harvey of Wodonga
Inscriptions & markings
LABEL 1: " MOBIL/Home Kerosene/ for/ HEATING , LIGHTING, CLEANING/ INCUBATORS, REFRIGERATORS/ Coloured BLUE for safety/ PACKED NET FL. OZS /
J. MANN & SON / HIgh Street, Wodonga/ Phone 19 or 61
LABEL 2: "CAUTION/Dangerous if Swallowed/Keep out of Reach of Children/if Swallowed Seek Medical Advice/ HIghly Inflammable/ REFINED/ METHYLATED SPIRITS / KEEP AWAY FROM/ OPEN FIRE/ Net Contents 20 Fl. Ozs./ Bottle by J. B. & R. HARVEY / GROCER/ WODONGA
Embossed in Bottle 2: THIS BOTTLE REMAINS THE PROPERTY/ OF HUNTER PRODUCTS PTY. LTD./ FOOTSCRAY/ THIS BOTTLE/ MUST NOT BE / USED AS A/ FOOD CONTAINER.