Use to identify a tramway employee - Clifton Hill car house or depot. Would have allowed free travel when in uniform to and from work. Used possibly from mid 1910's when the Board was formed until it was replaced by the MMTB in 1921 or when a different identification system was implemented. Most likely made by Stokes and Sons - possible imprint covered by the leather part.
Demonstrates the method of identifying cable tram employees.
Round pressed brass badge with the words "Gripman" pressed into the centre of the badge around the top portion of the badge, the letters "C13H pressed into the lower half of the badge - with small horizontal lines within the individual letters. Has a nickel-plated finish with the Tramways Board logo on the lower part of the badge. On the rear of the badge, two metal lugs have been soldered onto the badge and a two-piece leather strap with a buttonhole cut into it to enable it to be worn on a uniform.