The Seppelt company was founded in the Barossa Valley in 1851 by Joseph Seppelt, a German immigrant. In 1902 the family business was registered as B. Seppelt & Sons Ltd. As part of the expansion of this successful business, they acquired the Clydeside Cellars in Rutherglen from the estate of Mr. David G. Hamilton in 1914.,Due to changing conditions the vineyards were sold in the 1980s and all stock taken back to their property at Seppeltsfield in South Australia. From 1984 until the present, the Cellars in Rutherglen has had several operators including Jolimont Cellars (Doug Shears), Tony Lamb and 2 different Asian-owned conglomerates operating as Rutherglen Estates. In 2018 Rutherglen Estate was purchased by De Bortoli Family Winemakers of Griffiths, NSW
This jug is representative of leading pioneers and companies in the Australian Wine industry located in Northeast Victoria.
A ceramic wine carafe produced by the House of Seppelt. It features the coat of arms of the House of Seppelt on one side and a portrait of Benno Seppelt on the opposite side. The lower section of the carafe is beige in colour and the top half, coat of arms and portrait are in blue.
Inscriptions & markings
THE HOUSE OF / SEPPELT
- Australian Dictionary of Biography - Seppelt, Oscar Benno (1873–1963) A short biography of Oscar Benno Seppelt