Historical information

While the children were on their Beechworth Camp they visited the Chinese Cemetery in that town. The two grey buildings with the red roofs buildings are the ovens used for cremations and the altar is in the centre. The ovens were erected in 1857 and the altar was added between 1883-84. A number of Chinese came to the area seeking gold after the main gold rushes in the early 1850s.


The existence of the Chinese Cemetery at Beechworth is an indication of the many different races of people arrived in Victoria own the 1850s seeking gold and spread across the Colony.

Physical description

A non-digital coloured photograph of a Chinese Cemetery Showing the ovens and the altar with the graves in rows behind.