Sarah Coventry Pty. Ltd. was a North American jewellery company that was established in 1949 by the Stuart family as part of Emmons Jewelry, Inc. It began operations in England and Australia in 1968, and in Australia it moved from Carlton in Melbourne to Wodonga in 1969. The premises were originally on High St. in Wodonga, but a new warehouse was built in Melbourne Rd. later in 1969.
It was a direct selling jewellery business using a party-plan model similar to Tupperware and Avon. The sales reps or 'Hostesses' were provided with jewellery samples in demonstration kits, which they displayed at jewellery parties in their homes. The designs for jewellery such as brooches, necklaces, earrings, chokers and bracelets were purchased from freelance designers and jewellery manufacturers rather than in-house designers.
In 1979 Sarah Coventry Pty. Ltd. in Wodonga was bought by three Australian businessmen, including Wodonga local Jim Sawyer, and continued to sell jewellery under the name "Sargem Pty. Ltd”, for several more years in the 1980s.
As part of the Sarah Coventry collection, the necklace has local significance with the decentralised commercial development of regional centres such as Wodonga in NE Victoria, as well as national and international significance from the perspective of social and economic developments for women after World War II. The direct selling party-plan business model Sarah Coventry was based on is also considered the first of its kind for jewellery.
Necklace with three strands of faux pearls and a large faux green stone at the silver toned metal clasp on the front, and a large faux pearl at the clasp on the back. includes box featuring Sarah Coventry branding
On outside of box : "Sarah Coventry® /PTY. LTD. /WODONGA, VICTORIA
On inside of lid: "Sarah Coventry"
On internal cardboard mounting: "Made in Canada / Sarah Coventry Pty., Ltd. / WODONGA (SC) VICTORIA
sarah coventry, costume jewellery, industry wodonga