During World War One, to finance the war the Commonwealth Government had a series of war loans, and then peace loans. To recover the cost of the war and fund soldier pensions the government launched 'Peace Loan' campaigns after the war. The various Shires in each State were given quotas that they were expected to raise. The Central Peace Loan Committee endorsed the issue of a metal tablet to each district which secured its quota. The tablet was made of bronze, and it was to be fixed on the wall of the local municipal building. It bore the name of the town, borough or shire to which it was awarded, and the name of the mayor or president. The inscription explaining the object of the award appeared over the signatures of the Prime Minister and the Treasurer of the Commonwealth. In the case of districts which secured double their quota the tablet also included the Commonwealth coat-of-arms.
This plaque was presented to the Shire of Wodonga for exceeding its allocated quota which had been set at £10,000. The Wodonga community subscribed more than £12,420 to the Peace Loans which was acknowledged with the presentation of the plaque.
A bronze rectangular plaque with raised text and an border. A hole in each corner allowed the plaque to be secured to a wall.
Inscriptions & markings
COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA / PEACE LOAN/ A.D. 1919/ TO COMMEMORATE THE OVERSUBSCRIPTION / OF THE ALLOTTED QUOTA OF THIS LOAN / BY/ THE SHIRE OF WODONGA/ W. TWOMEY PRESIDENT / W. A. WATT TREASURER/ W. M. HUGHES PRIME MINISTER"
- Wodonga and Towong Sentinel Fri 26 Sep 1919 - Peace Loan An article retrieved from Wodonga and Towong Sentinel on the Trove National Archive stating that Wodonga had exceeded its Peace Loan quota.