Historical information

The Bank of Victoria was located at 7a Liebig Street, Warrnambool. The building still exists in 2023 as a part of the Quest apartments. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute was formed in 1859 and the first reading room opened in 1884. Responsibility for all activities of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute activities were formally handed over to the Warrnambool city Council on 27th July 1911.


This Bank of Victoria Limited passbook documents credits and debits of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute & Free Library from December 1904 until 30th June 1911 just prior to the transfer to the Warrnambool City Council. This passbook is an example of how banking records were kept in the early 20th century.