Although the organization name is not in the book, this ledger appears to have been used as a financial record for the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute from 1904 to 1911. Most of the entries are the names of those subscribing to the Mechanics' Institute Library, the finances connected to the School of Art and Design and moneys received in connection with the Mechanics' Institute billiards room. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute was one of the earliest established in Victoria, being founded in 1854. The School of Art and Design, the second of its kind in Warrnambool, was established in 1883 and continued to be administered by the Mechanics' Institute until 1908. It eventually became part of the Warrnambool Technical School, opened in 1913. A local Museum was a feature of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute for many years. A billiards room was a recreational feature of many Mechanics' Institutes. The Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute closed in the 1960s with the library section continuing and the building was demolished in 1975 to make way for new Warrnambool Council buildings (including a new library)
This ledger is of considerable interest as it is an early record of the Warrnambool Mechanics' Institute, one of Warrnambool's most influential organizations. The names listed in this ledger are of historical interest and provide much material for local history researchers.
This is a ledger with a black cover with gold printing on the front. The pages have ruled red and blue lines and handwritten entries in black ink and blue crayon. The spine of the cover is somewhat tattered on the edges.