This is the MINJAH telephone exchange testing unit. The exchange was adjacent to the property of MINJAH which is situated near Hawkesdale in Western Victoria. The exchange operated between 1955 and 1985. The testing unit was used for detecting and testing faults in the telephone system. The keys along the front were called "Hospital Keys" and were used to give subscribers a temporary connection in the event of a break down. The telephone exchange was replaced by an automatic exchange.
This is a good example of a manual telephone system in Western Victoria
This is a rectangular polished wooden box with a telephone mechanism on the side connected by a hook. On the front right is a dialling system which has been detached. On the front left is a volt meter. At the front bottom are seventeen switches. In the middle front are twenty keys which can flash up in various colours. There is writing on the side . There is a black metal label with writing
Inscriptions & markings
AVD HAND SET
S314470 c 7060 H/56 LINE & SELECTOR TEST SET HT& Co. Ltd. LIVERPOOL ENGLAND