Historical information

Prior to 1939 access to the Island was by punt from San Remo or car ferry from Stony Point. A bridge was opened in 1940 but increased traffic and low load capacity was a problem. The decision to build a new bridge was made in the 1960s.



Physical description

Coloured, bound booklet with a photo of the old and new Phillip Island bridges on the cover and the CRB logo and name on rear. It includes the order of proceedings for the opening and bridge statistics, plans and contractor information. Also photos of construction and a history of travel to the Island before a bridge was built and the first bridge. There is also a 2 page typed document written by the bridge engineer who gives a brief history of access to the Island and problems at the opening with access and a rebel who tried to open it unofficially.

Inscriptions & markings

Official Opening of the Phillip Island Bridge at San Remo by The Hon. M.V. Porter, MLA. Minister of Public Works. November 21 1969