Historical information

The Coat of Arms, represents Brighton City Council's "growing awareness of the importance of formality and correct symbolism in local government". It replaced the council's crest of a pier and yachting scene and was used as council's seal, emblem on its flag and letterhead. The new Coat of Arms, drawn up by the College of Arms in England, depicts the progression from a seaside gardening community to a modern residential city. The prominent forms are on the shield-like coat of arms include waves and a Lymphad (a ship, symbolic of the sea); a market gardener; an aboriginal man; two horns plenty with abundant fruit and vegetables (the wealth and plenty) and Elster Creek (now Elster Canal). It is underscored by the motto "By their fruits, ye shall know them".
Brighton was first incorporated as a borough on 18 January 1859, it became a town on 18 March 1887 and was proclaimed a city on 12 March 1919.

Physical description

Ink and gouache on parchment with wax seals. Allocates a Coat of Arms to the City of Brighton, by the College of Arms in London on 08/09/1970. The Coat of Arms is located on the upper left quadrant and has the following parts: the crest, the wreath, the helmet and mantle, the shield, the supporters, the compartment and the motto. The crest is two cornucopias with fruits and vegetables, above which sits a seagull. The mantle above the helmet is in green and gold. The shield is also green and gold with a lymphad (ship), and blue and white waves, representing the sea. The market gardener, holding a hoe, and Aboriginal figure, bearing a boomerang, support the shield and stand upon the compartment which is soil with a representation of Elster Creek. A ribbon below contains the motto in 'FRUCTU NOSCITUR'. The certificate text explains the origins of Brighton and the parts of the coat of arms. At the bottom of the folded parchment are three signatures and titles, below which three red wax seals in gold tin containers hang from blue ribbons.