Historical information

The design of this crest was used by the City of Brighton until 1970, when an official Coat of Arms was issued by the British College of Heraldry. Brighton was first incorporated as a borough on 18 January 1859. It became a town on 18 March 1887 and was proclaimed a city on 12 March 1919.

Physical description

Four circular cast bronze plaques with City of Brighton crest. The outer border surrounding the central crest includes CITY OF BRIGHTON lettering around the top half, two diamonds on the bottom left and right sides with the British Coat of arms at the bottom centre. The central crest depicts the Brighton coastline in relief, with a pier extending to the water, sail boats and a ship in the distance, a train on the right of the pier, a bathing box and trees on the left.