This type of connection could be attached to a hypodermic syringe for blood or fluid collection. This connection could also be used as an attachment to 'cupping' instruments to induce artificial hyperaemia to assist in the draining of abcesses and carbuncles.
Mary Howlett (1840-1922) began practising as a country midwife in 1866 in the western district of Victoria. She qualified as a 'ladies monthly nurse' in 1887 and continued to practise as a nurse and midwife until 1920.She began her six months training at the Melbourne Lying-In Hospital. She was known by many as 'Auntie', and her career spanned more than 50 years. Mrs Howlett's midwifery box and contents were given to Dr Frank Forster, and he donated them to the museum collection in 1993.
Glass connection, 2cm in length, with central flange. Proximal (near) end has a rounded ridge for attaching to a syringe. Distal (far) end in plain, for attaching to rubber tubing.