Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists

The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists (RANZCOG) is the professional body for all specialist obstetricians and gynaecologists in Australia and New Zealand. The College has a museum collection comprising of O&G instruments. A key feature is a significant collection of obstetric forceps dating from the mid- 18th century to the present day. The advances in obstetric teaching, neo-natal investigation, as well as fertility investigation, infertility treatment and contraception are represented in the RANZCOG Museum collection.

Links

Contact Information

location
254-256 Albert Street, East Melbourne, Vic 3002 East Melbourne Vic 3002 (map)
phone
+61 61 3 9412 2923

Contact

The RANZCOG Museum medical collection has medical equipment relating to the history of Obstetrics and Gynaecological practice and neonatal and postnatal care in Australia. The collection includes a fine collection of obstetric forceps, an extensive collection of contraceptive devices, fertility investigation equipment and some early Invitro- fertilization equipment, neonatal investigative equipment such foetal stethoscopes and ultrasound equipment, laparoscopy equipment, historic teaching models and a collection of microscopes.

There are no comments yet.

Leave a comment

401 items

close
Show All Items Items with Images (401) Items with Audio Items with Video Items with Documents
View As Grid List

401 items

Forceps, artery

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Artery forceps, Lanes straight, screw joint securing the blades x2

Historical information

Belonged to Dr Lorna Green, donated pre-1974

Syringe, enema, infants

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Infant enema syringe red rubber bulb attached to a white bone phlange attachment.

Dilator, uterine, Palmer's

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Uterine dilator, Palmer's. Broken handle lever. illustrated in Tiemann, George The American Armaterium, page 503.

Historical information

Most likely donated by Dr Frank Forster, possibly collected by him from colleagues initially.

Forceps, Aveling's

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Forceps, Aveling's, with ebony handles. Stamped "Meyer & Meltzer London & Melbourne"on inner arm.

Historical information

Possibly collected by Dr Frank Forster

Forceps, Barclay's

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Forceps, Barclay's, all nickle plate metal, On label, identified by Bryan Hiibbard. Manufacturer: Jones Melbourne

Historical information

Possibly collected by Dr Frank Forster

Magic Lantern

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Magic lantern or Baloptian [precursor to slide projector]. Model BC. Bausch & Lamb Optical Co, Rochester NY. Electrical, metal projector box with lens in bronze casing a timber frame for glass slides marked "(illeg.) PATENT ECLIPSE" an attached electrical lead with bakerlite plug. c1927.No slides, either missing or none received.

Historical information

Dr Mabel Maguire, widow of Dr Frederick Arthur Maguire (1888- 1953) donated it in 1962 along with a number of glass slides.Dr Maguire owned and used the item, giving Anatomy lessons to medocal students,. Used mostly in Sydney (University of Sydney) 1962

intruterine device

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Intra-uterine device, SAF.T. coil 33.s including an inserter, sealed in original sealed plastic packaging, unopened.

Historical information

Donated in 1993 by Dr Ronald McKenzie Rome.

Chair, examination

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Stirrup, metal detachable, for 12.1 Gynaecological examination chair, metal painted white, with one other detachable metal stirrup [12.3 ] Chair with a back panel, seat panel and leg panel. The leg panel can be adjusted upwards to make a table. The back panel has an upright and two reclining positions. The seat panel has a side mechanism that makes the panel tilt backwards, so that a patient can be positioned head downwards with legs upwards.

Insufflator/Applicator

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

White metal applicator probably made from nickel plate consists of watch spring attached to a piston and phlange which was attached to a glass tube mounted on black vulcanite by metal connections of various sizes.

Historical information

This appliance can used in two different ways: externally to spray antiseptic mist on to the skin or internally on the back of the throat. Insufflator is the clinical term for spraying and applicator is the clinical term for the application of medical topical powders or liquids. This was used by the midwife in the care of mother and newborn babies.

Saline infusion apparatus, Horrocks

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Saline infusion apparatus, "Horocks", metal lidded box [1969.1], oval, containing a gauze insert, a glass intravenous drip chamber [169.2], needle straight, intravenous [169.3], wire insert for the needle [169.4] and rubber tubing [169.5]. Inscribed inside box, "Down Bros., St Thomas Street, Borough of London.

Historical information

Dr Henry Mitchell O'Sullivan worked in the Victorian country town as a general practitioner in Casterton from 1919 until his death in 1977. He also practiced obstetrics. The gladstone bag and contents are a unique time capsule of the type of instruments and pharmaceuticals used in the inter-war period. His son, Dr David More O'Sullivan donated the obstetric bag and its contents to the College in 1999.

Forceps,Barnes

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Forceps, Zeigler, with ebony insert in handles. Manufacturer "Coxeter".

Historical information

Possibly collected by Dr Frank Forster

Pessary, Gelhorn mushroom

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Clear plastic pessary consisting of three sections moulded together including a phlange with elevated ring, stem and bulb. A hole extends right through the centre of the device.

Pessary, Galabin's Anteversion

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Galabin's anteversion pessary, black vulcanite, came in six sizes. Label, typed "GALABIN'S ANTEVERSION PESSARY" and tag with string "Galabin's ante/version/ pessary". Illustrated Downs Bros.Catalogue, cANADIAN EDITION. PAGE 1038.

Blunt hook and crochet

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Blunt hook and crochet, fitting one handle. Manufacters stamp, "Mayer & Meltzer London"

Perforator, Blot's

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Perforator, Blots's, with ebony handle, cross-hatch paterning. Stamped on handle,left side of joint screw "G.Marriere/ A. Paris". On right of joint screw, another illegible stamp.

Historical information

Most likely donated by the late Dr Frank Forster

Bag, medical

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Doctor's medical bag, leather with leather handle. Lining torn

Historical information

Item belonging to Dr Mitchell Henry O"Sullivan donated by his son David More O'Sullivan

Insturment case with unidentified instruments

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Instrument case, small, containing small silver knife, a small silver ladel with a sharp probe at one end, a tweezeer like instument and string with three hook attachments. Looks unused, not gynaecological, nasal?

Historical information

Donated by Miss Beatrice May Devlin, items that belonged to her paternal grandfather, Dr Henry William Devlin who graduated in Medicine from Dublin and worked at the Rotunda hospital, Dublin. He immigrated to Australia and was the first doctor to practise in Parkes NSW.Please refer to supplementary file filed under Accession number 1995001

Pessary, Hodges

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Pessary, black vulcanite, Hodges, irregular shape, moulded, medium size. "I.T.A.Y." inscribed on upper curve

Historical information

This type of pessary was often used for uterine malpositions and displacements and usually made from vulcanite. This particular object is known as Hodges moulded pessary. [Source: George Tiemann & Co Surgical Instruments catalogue.1989. page 486.]

Forceps, Barnes

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Barnes forceps[left blade] with Simpsons handles, stainless steel blades, with black bakerlite hand grip attachment.

Historical information

Birth Obstetrical forceps

Forceps, dissecting

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Forceps, straight, dissecting, contained in chamois pocket dressing case [185.1]and other instruments. Marking, "1".

Container, tin

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Round metal tin with yellow label containing silkworm gut used for suturing.

Historical information

This item belonged to Dr Mitchell Henry O'Sullivan´┐Żs (1892-1972) obstetric bag

Teaching model, female reproduction organs

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Teaching model- 3D Female Reproduction Organs Painted and numbered plastic mould, showing vagina and one ovary and fillopian tude in cross-section. The model is mounted on metallic grey painted timber panel. Manufacturer Adam Rouilly, London. label on lower right.].Monash Medical Centre Clayton. Accompanying booklet missing.

Historical information

Originally this teaching model belonged to Prince Henry's hospital library and was transferred to the Monash Medical Centre, Clayton in the 1970s by Sister Gertrude Berger, a famous nurse-educator, who is best known for her work leading up to the transfer of nursing education in Victoria from hospitals to universities in 1986.Gerty (as she was known in the School of Nursing) bought them in Europe in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

Pessary, virginal

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Pessary, clear plastic, belonging to Olga Bolitho who inherited it from Dame Ella MacKnight. Used by Olga Bolitho once or twice, according to correspondence dated 14/5/00 from Olga Bolitho [held with the donation form]

Historical information

Dame Ella Macknight was an obstetrician and gynaecologist who worked at the Queen Victoria Hospital, Melbourne. She was appointed as a Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire on 1 January 1969 for services to medicine. She gained her MB BS in 1928 from the University of Melbourne. After qualifying as an obstetrician and gynaecologist, (MD, Melb.1931, DGO Melb 1936), she was associated with the Queen Victoria Hospital from 1935-1977. Her appointments included honorary obstetrician and gynaecologist from 1935-1964; vice-president of the Committee of Management for 1963-1971 and president from 1971-1977. She was president of the Council of the Royal College of Gynaecologists from 1970-1972.After her death in 1996, her family set up a post graduate scholarship in her honour with the Royal College of Gynaecologists & Obstetricians.

Cranioclast, Simpson's

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Simpson's cranioclast with bakerlite handle inserts.

Historical information

Instrument belonging to Dr Mitchell Henry O"Sullivan donated by his son David Moore O'Sullivan

Circumcision clamp

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

The "Little Trimmer" is a chrome metal device used to perform circumcisions.

Historical information

Used by Dr Cyrus Jones to perform circumcisions.

Vial, glass

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Glass vial with catgut number three "Ethicon" in sterile solution, [195.2].

Historical information

Dr Henry Mitchell O'Sullivan worked in the Victorian country town as a general practitioner in Casterton from 1919 until his death in 1977. He also practiced obstetrics. The gladstone bag and contents are a unique time capsule of the type of instruments and pharmaceuticals used in the inter-war period. His son, Dr David More O'Sullivan donated the obstetric bag and its contents to the College in 1999.

Spatula, pap smear

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Stainless steel pap smear spatula 18cms in length. There is parallel scoring along the spatula's head.

Nipple shield

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Nipple shield[118.1], opaque plastic, second nipple shield missing, and manufacturer's box [118.2] and supplier business card [118.3]

Historical information

Donated by Dr Ronald McKenzie Rome, 19 August 1993.

Speculum, Auvard's

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Auvard speculum, detachable weight. Stamped "RAMSAY", manufacturer. Inscribed with initials " C.K.C"

Historical information

This speculum had belonged to Dr Kelvin Churches who was an honorary at the Royal Women's hospital, Melbourne. The specucum, along with other items (see donation form in donation folder) was donated by Dr William Geoffrey Wicks in 1999.

Pessary, Galabin's Anteversion

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Thomas pessary, black vulcanite. Inscribed with number "60" Illustrated Allen & Hanbury's catalogue page 708 no. 5460. Tag attached inscribed "Thomas' pessary".

Cannula, Spackman's

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

This Spackman's cannula was used by Dr Geoff Bishop during gynaecological laparscopioc surgery.He used this decice as a uterine elevator. Also, for testing tubal patency by inserting dye through it. Manufacturers stamp: ANAX.

Historical information

Part of the laparoscopy equipment donated by Dr Geoff Bishop. Dr Geoffrey Bishop, whilst at the Department of O and G, University of Liverpool, UK, began laparoscopy in 1969. On returning to Australia, Bishop and Grimwade together with Mr Peter Paterson introduced gynaecological laparoscopy to Melbourne, practising at the Queen Victoria Memorial Hospital (QVMH), Melbourne in 1969. The College, through the Victorian State Committee of the Australian Council, RCOG, ran training courses in laparoscopy for local and interstate gynaecologists. These were conducted by Bishop, Grimwade and Paterson. They established protocols, with particular reference to safety, for the conduct of laparoscopy. Laparoscopy was used initially for diagnosis and for limited treatment using diathermy for conditions such as endometriosis. The real impetus came with the great upsurge of tubal sterilization in the early 1970s. Early techniques included diathermy and division of the Fallopian tubes using the Palmer forceps. [Dr Peter Renou, former honoury curator.]

Forceps, Kjelland's

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Forceps, Kjellands, obstetric, surgical steel. Owned and used by Dr Geoffrey Bishop.

Historical information

These forceps were owned and used by Dr Geoff Bishop and donated by him

Forceps, Denman's type

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Forceps, Denman type, with ebony handles. Stamped "Meyer & Meltzer London & Melbourne" "17" stamped also on inner arm.

Historical information

Possibly collected by Dr Frank Forster

Blunt hook

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Blunt hook, short, with fenstrated cross bar handle.

Dilator, uterine, Goodell's

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Uterine dilator, Goodell's, stamped inside the blades '23". Manufacturers unknown.

Historical information

Most likely donated by Dr Frank Forster, possibly collected by him from colleagues initially.

Gown, college

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

President's College gown, RNZCOG, that belonged to the late Dr Mercia Barnes, President of RANZCOG (1991- 94). donated by Dr John Doig. Manufacturers' label, marked "103".

Historical information

RNZCOG Presidents gown, belonging to the late Dr. Mercia Barnes

Forceps, Anderson's-Mayer's

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Forceps, Anderson's-Mayer's modified, with ebony handles. Stamped "Meyer & Meltzer". Identified by Bryan Hibbard as a modified version of the Anderson forceps, noted on attached tag.The blades are Anderson's, however the handle with finger grips is ununusual.

Historical information

Possibly collected by Dr Frank Forster

Tubal insufflator

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Rubin's tubal insufflator apparatus, large cylidrical glass canister inside a portable plywood box with two doors with three glass nozzels at top with long rubber tubing attached on each. One surigical steel introducer, one glass introducer attached. No manometer to monitor gas pressure [incomplete or not available in this possibly early model?] Model may be dated c1919 or 1920s or 1930s. 1919 was the year Isoodor Clinton Rubin (1883-1958) introduced the apparatus to detect tubal patency and investigate infertility.

Historical information

Label with Cyrus Jones monogram.

Vectis

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Vectis, with mahogany handle, retractable, swivel notch above handle to fix and unfix the blade. no markings

Historical information

Most likely collected and donated by Dr Frank Forster

Curette, adenoid

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Curette, denoid chromium plated steel, "no. 7" stamped near the handle and hear the head, detachable from the handle wiith fluted grip on one side. 245.2 is a metacble snare with three teeth, swivels at the head

Historical information

These items were in the possession of Dr Lorna Green and donated sometime before 1974.

Dilator, uterine

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Uterine dilator, with attachments for tube attachment for douche.

Tongue depressor

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Tongue depressor or blade, an attachment for a mouth gage, possibly Boyle-Davis's.

Pessary, Eyeglass

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Pessary, black vulcanite, "eyeglass", stem style, small size.

Infant feeding bottle

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Clear glass bottle with six sides with calibrations in ounces and cubic centimetres 16.5 cms in length. Also included is the cream coloured plastic top. Embossed on side: "Evenflo and "Made in the USA".

Historical information

In Australia this type of bottle was known as "Truflow" which was also manufactured by Johnson & Johnson.

Pessary, Gordon

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Black vulcanite pessary with metal stem and hinged wings. This design is similar to a Zwanke's pessary. There are three small hinges in the middle of the wings and a metal stude. On the back of the left wing is the number "3 registered no. 5798". Makers name is included on the instrument.

Forceps,Denman's type

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Forceps, Denman's type, mahogany inserts in handle. Manufacturer's stamp, "Burgoyne Ac Burbidge" [London] on inner arm.

Historical information

Possibly collected by Dr Frank Forster

Fetal stethoscope

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Fetal stethoscope made from ebony consists of a tube with phlanges at each end. The large phlange would be placed onto the abdomen and the small phlange would be placed to the ear to hear the fetal heart beat.

Historical information

The Furgusson stethoscope was in use from 1866

Vial, glass

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Vial, glass containing "Ethicon" catgut number one [194.2] in sterile solution.

Historical information

Dr Henry Mitchell O'Sullivan worked in the Victorian country town as a general practitioner in Casterton from 1919 until his death in 1977. He also practiced obstetrics. The gladstone bag and contents are a unique time capsule of the type of instruments and pharmaceuticals used in the inter-war period. His son, Dr David More O'Sullivan donated the obstetric bag and its contents to the College in 1999.

Infant Feeding Bottle

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Clear glass bottle with six sides with calibrations in ounces and cubic centimetres. 16.5 cms in length. Also included is the cream coloured plastic top. Plastic top has yellowed and the insert cap is missing.

Significance

In Australia this type of bottle was known as "Truflow" which was also manufactured by Johnson & Johnson.

Inscriptions & Markings

Embossed on side: "Evenflo and "Made in the USA"

Forceps, Hunter's

Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists,

Forceps, Hunter's, with stamp symbol of Lion on inner arm. Designed by American James Bradbridge Hunter, c1885, Hunter devised a number of useful instrumens and devices. This forceps were evidnetly well used: the manufacterer stamp of the sybol is partially worn away, being located on the outer blade just above the german- type lock.

Historical information

Possibly collected by Dr Frank Forster.