Blamey House was one of the residences used by Legacy as a home for Junior Legatees. From 1942-1981 Legacy provided residential accommodation for junior legatees who may have been left orphans, or whose mother may have been unable to care for them herself, or they needed to stay in Melbourne for further education. Short term accommodation for children could be provided, for instance if a widow needed hospital care.
The property at 1267 Burke Road was known as Holmbush from 1942 until 1956. The name was transferred to this property from another residence in Balcombe Road Beaumaris when it was sold in the mid 1950s.
Was with many other slides taken in the 1950s and 1960s. The slides have been photographed to make digital images and moved to archive quality sleeves. In many cases the original images were not well focussed and the digital image the best available.
A record of the residence in Burke Road named Blamey House.
Colour slide of Blamey House viewed from the road in a red edged Kodachrome cardboard mount.
Inscriptions & markings
Printed on reverse in red ink 'Kodachrome Transparency / Processed by Kodak'. Handwritten in blue ink 'Blamey House'. Imprinted slide number in black ink '1'.