Historical information

The Siddely Street Sailors' Home was built in 1904 to replace the former Spencer Street building.
The home closed its doors on 31 January 1963. In 1965 the building was sold and it was later demolished and the site redeveloped.
Ernst (Ernest) Waldemar Kaiser (1893-1968) was the last and longest serving superintendent of the home (March 1933 - March 1965). He was employed till 31 March 1965 (year of the article) when he finished up after 32 years in the position. He continued to be employed for a year or so after the home closed, probably serving as caretaker till it was sold. (see Mark Howard paper in the Great Circle (Vol.42, No1).)


The plaque photographed on page 25 is to be incorporated in the Seafarers park located next to the new Seafarers residential building and at the back of the Mission.

Physical description

3 pages (p21 to 26) of the Port Melbourne Quarterly issue July-September 1965 about the Melbourne Sailors Home located on Spencer Street.

Inscriptions & markings

Inscription handwritten in black ink in capital letters by Nancy Oakley: Meetings of Melb. Sailors' Home held at office of Mr Theo H. Swanton Managing Dir. of William Crosby & Co., 464 Collins St. Melb.