Historical information

The coat of arms on this flag were granted by the British College of Arms in 1970 and represented Brighton City Council's "growing awareness of the importance of formality and correct symbolism in local government". It replaced the council's crest of a pier and yachting scene and was used as council's seal, emblem on its flag and letterhead. The new Coat of Arms, drawn up by the College of Arms in England, depicts the progression from a seaside gardening community to a modern residential city. The prominent forms are on the shield-like coat of arms include waves and a Lymphad (a ship, symbolic of the sea); a market gardener; an aboriginal man; two horns of plenty with abundant fruit and vegetables (the wealth and plenty) and Elster Creek (now Elster Canal). It is underscored by the motto "By their fruits, ye shall know them". Brighton was first incorporated as a borough on 18 January 1859, it became a town on 18 March 1887 and was proclaimed a city on 12 March 1919.

Physical description

Green flag with circular City of Brighton Coat of Arms in the centre. The central circle is white with a yellow edge, with a polychrome coat of arms featuring: the crest which is two cornucopia with fruits and vegetables, above sits a seagull. The mantle above the helmet is in green and gold. The shield is also green and gold with a lymphad (ship) and blue and white waves. The market gardener, holding a hoe, and Aboriginal figure, bearing a boomerang, support the shield and stand upon the compartment which is soil with a representation of Elster creek. A ribbon below contains the motto in blue 'FRUCTU NOSCITUR'.