Historical information

St Luke’s Anglican Church officially opened on 15 March 1863. It was constructed from locally hewn stone. After serving the congregation for more than a century, the Church was closed by the Health Commission due to its deteriorated condition which was judged to be beyond repair. It was demolished by voluntary labour on the 10 – 11 August 1968. St Luke’s originally operated as a branch of the Albury church. The first resident minister at Wodonga was Rev. J. H. White who came in 1879.
Much of the demolition of the church was organised and carried out by Raymond John Schmidt, a long-time parishioner of St Luke’s. After the demolition, the font was relocated to the Schmidt family garden. It was the wish of Ray Schmidt and his wife Elizabeth that the Font should come to the Wodonga & District Historical Society after their deaths. It is now displayed at Hut 97.

Physical description

A baptismal font made from hewn stone from the Wodonga area. Central bowl for holy water is surrounded by an inscription.

Inscriptions & markings