Physical description

An A4 size spiral bound publication detailing the work of John Gordon and his sons William and Charles. It includes a speech transcript as well as articles and images.


John Gordon was born in Chelsea, London in 1826. He and his wife Eliza migrated to Australia in mid-1853. They settled originally in Sydney where John practiced his profession of carpenter. By 1868 John was advertising himself as an architect. In May 1876 he and George Sheppard of Wagga announced they had entered into partnership, adopting the name "Gordon and Sheppard".<br/>John drowned in the Murrumbidgee River at Wagga on the 19 December 1880 when aged 54, leaving a wife Eliza, two sons William Joseph and Charles Goodwin and a daughter, Ada Martin.<br/>In 1881 William and Charles established the firm Gordon & Gordon.<br/>Gordon & Gordon's practice initially covered southern Riverina, however by 1890 it was very Victorian orientated having offices in Melbourne, Corowa, Rutherglen, Mansfield, Benalla, Euroa, Wangaratta, Albury, Seymour and Wodonga.<br/>This publication documents many of the buildings designed by William and Charles Gordon, including images of many of them. Some of the more well-known ones were St. Patrick's Church in Albury, Fairfield villa at Brown’s Plains for G F Morris, the Wodonga Shire Hall of 1890, A. Schlink's Store in High Street, Wodonga, Old Tallangatta Shire Offices and Butter Factory, St. Joseph's Convent, Wodonga, "Cambourne" and the de Kerilleau Homestead.